Logo

Sears outboard motor

grumpymike

"I was given a small SEARS out

"I was given a small SEARS outboard, I did pull it through and it is not seized so there is hope.
It is a model 574-59660 with a serial 67600410-2587. it has an on board gas tank and it appears to be an air cooled engine.
Does any one know anything about this li'l guy?
fuel? plug? plug and point setting? year? and here is the biggie, are any parts still available?"

"Mike - 1967, single cylinder,

"Mike - 1967, single cylinder, air-cooled 4 horse made by McCulloch for Sears.

Can use a Champion RH12 gapped at .035
Don't have a point setting - sorry
Can mix at 24:1 regular unleaded and 2 cycle motor oil (such as used with Lawnmowers) - NOT marine oil - designed for water cooled motors and will burn up too quickly.

You may want to replace the gas lines under the hood. 1960's rubber doesn't take kindly to todays gas with ethanol in it - eats it right up - some generic gas line from any autoparts place will work fine and only set you back a couple of bucks.

Some parts are around depending on what you may need.

McCulloch sold out to MTD a number of years back. Some but not all of the patents went with the sale, so some things are just available anymore.

You can try www.laingsoutboards.com - have decent supplies of alot of parts for discontinued motors.

www.discount-marine-supplies.com may have a manual - you can check if interested...."

"My grandfather willed me an o

"My grandfather willed me an old sears and roebuck outboard 3.5 horsepower motor,model # 582-3001 that I need information on. I'm not sure how much oil to gas ratio to use or oil in the lower unit and I would like to find a manual for this motor. I will be using it on a flat back canoe. Barry"

"Barry, you have a bit of an o

"Barry, you have a bit of an odd one there. The 582 prefix tells me that it was built by Clinton, however, it should have also been built for export to Sears in Canada.

Clintons only contribution to the Sears line was the 3.5 horse models and they all went to Simpsons Sears, the Canadian version of Sears and Roebuck. Clinton was a major producer for Montgomery Wards, one of Sears major competitors.

They were produced between 1965-68 at a time when Clinton was hovering on bankruptcy and was being funded by a company called Lomart.

At that time McCulloch (best known for chainsaws) was making the US models for Sears. So you have a bit of an "unusual" one.

Anyhow, it should mix at 32:1 (1/4 pint of oil to 1 gallon - in US measurements) - use normal 2 cycle motor oil such as used with lawnmowers, NOT marine oil which is designed for water-cooled motors. This will be an air-cooled model and needs the protection of the heavier oil.

You could try www.discount-marine-parts.com for a manual - if anyone has one, it may be them...."

Back