Logo

EVINRUDE 71 model 60hp

hoots

"I have discussed this motor o

"I have discussed this motor on here before. Need more info. It is a model #60173C, took it to the local Evinrude shop because it had not been in the water in a few years. Mechanic said he cranked it, left it running while he went to get some tools, got back to it, it had cut off and would not restart. Checked it out and the part is an electrical item under the flywheel, appx. $450.00, and when the flywheel is removed, it may cause other electrical problems and he would not recommend fixing it. My problem is this motor was rebuilt about 10 years ago with all internal parts replaced by a Johnson mechanic, only between 50-60 hrs. on it now.
I am wondering if maybe the water pump is bad and it maybe overheated and shutdown."

"need a little more info std s

"need a little more info std shift /hydro electric
model #
the most expensive part under the flywheel?
stator,,,,,,,,,timerbase that is what is in there
they can get costly.
can you see the guy who did engine work ?
over heat would not cause a shut down unless he left it running for a long time,possibly causing
serious damage to heads cylenders etc

/?"

"A engine that has not been ru

"A engine that has not been run for a few years would certainly have fouled carburetors. Did that mechanic say anything about the carburetors?

To walk away from a running engine is pure stupidity. What exactly did the "mechanic" find under the flywheel that would cost $450.00?

If overheated to a point that the engine would shut down, it would need to have overheated to an extreme, seizing the pistons to the cylinder walls until the engine cooled down somewhat.

Check for loose cylinder head bolts, check the compression. Does the engine have spark on all cylinders?

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"mechanic said it was the ampl

"mechanic said it was the amplifier. is this pretty simple to replace or do I need an expert? also,what are the chances of the stator being bad?
compression test 90psi per cylinder.
where can I get amplifier?
do I need to junk the whole thing.
it is the electric shift."

"The "amplifier" (

"The "amplifier" (pulsepack/powerpack) on that model is quite expensive. If you can get a money back guarantee if the problem isn't the smplifier, you might go for that deal BUT only if the rest of the engine is ideal which you do not indicate.

The "amplifier" IS NOT under the flywheel, and the stator under that flywheel has nothing to do with the ignition.

Keep in mind that the engine is going on 38 years old..... be wary of putting much money into it."

"the engine was rebuilt by a g

"the engine was rebuilt by a good friend of mine{RIP} about 10 years ago, it has always ran excellent until I let it set for a couple of years, the last time I took it out it ran real good at 1/2 throttle, kinda sluggish at full throttle. Then a while later,{another year or so} I cranked at home with the cups on it, it ran fine then, took advice I received here, took it in for carburetor cleaning, new water pump, etc. today he said he cranked it, it ran ruff, spitting & so forth, then quit, no firing after that.
As I mentioned before on the rebuild, I was told that the mechanic spent over $2,000.00 on just parts, that is the reason I am having a hard time just giving up on it, I know it is old, but DANG.
I paid $900.00 for the motor, lots less than what was spent on the parts to rebuild."

"Get a second opinion from ano

"Get a second opinion from another dealer. I would double check the compression before I put anymore money in it. That would give you a good idea about the condition of the rings, pistons, cylinders, etc.

I got a second opinion once and the orginal mechanic told me not to ever come back. It pissed him off that I doubted him. Turns out he was wrong about the problem (over heating). My OMC dealer fixed the problem and it only cost a little over $100.00 parts and labor (water pump impeller replacement). I visit my dealer a lot just to stay in touch!!

Bill"

Back