Logo

1983 75 HP evinrude

"The leaf valve of the reed pl

"The leaf valve of the reed plate should cover the related slots completely. The leaf should not be broke or cracked at any area, nor should it be raised away from it to any great degree. It requires a visual inspection.

However, as I understand it by your explanation above, when you moved the #3 carburetor to the #2 cylinder location, the problem moved to the #2 cylinder. If this is the case, the problem is the carburetor and nothing else."

Yes I know Joe but I am the ty

Yes I know Joe but I am the type that wants to check everything out this way there maybe no problems in the future and so I sleep better at night as well. LOL

I just went outside and was pl

I just went outside and was playing with the motor when I dicovered black oil coming from not only the exhaust port on the prop but also oil running down the fin under the prop. I bet this means this motor as more problems dont it. If you can let me know what maybe going wrong let me know. I am thinking it maybe the lower unit seals bad and might need rebuilding but not for sure.

This motor is getting to be a

This motor is getting to be a pain about to turn it into an anchor. wish I could find a really cheap mechanic or a friend that is one who lived near by.

"Unless the gearlube is as bla

"Unless the gearlube is as black as what you're looking at there, that would be the excessive unburnt fuel draining down the sooty carbon lined inner exhaust housing."

"thats god then here I thought

"thats god then here I thought my lower end was going to be giving me some trouble. I am planning on getting a new carb, not sure when but when I do you are more than welcome to see this other carb Joe will keep in touch to get addy info later to send it to you"

"Garrett... The carburetor you

"Garrett... The carburetor you sent to me, I cleaned and inspected it thoroughly, then reassembled it to factory specifications. To me, I would compare it to new. I shipped it back via priority mail on 08/25/08 and see by the tracking number that you received it on 08/28/08.

Have you reinstalled it, and has it made any difference?"

I have not had time to get to

I have not had time to get to the motor since I have gotten back. I will get to it as soon as I can and I will keep you in touch about it. I have a question though if that does not fix the problem could it be the advance timing or anything to do with that end of the motor? If so I am not familar with that kind of stuff and will turn the motor over to the pros and not the shade tree like me. I wanted to save a few bucks but I am thinking its going to cost a few more. LOL

"JWB.... No, other than the fa

"JWB.... No, other than the fact that it really wasn't cleaned thoroughly and the float level wasn't exactly right, I didn't find anything out of the ordinary. It should function perfectly.

What is strange is that the 1984/85 75hp models have an adjustable slow speed jet in place of the normal brass idle jet BUT the needle valve is shorter than usual to a point whereas it does not extend out past the front of the carburetor and it incorporates the RED 315232 nylon bearing to keep it in place.... and the seating area for that 315232 nylon bearing is twice as deep as what we're accustomed to seeing.

The 1983 75hp model should have the carburetor with the fixed brass slow speed jet but this one does not for some reason.... I have no idea why. Possibly some previous owner has been experimenting at some previous time?"

Back