Logo

Water coming out of spark plugs not weep Hole

badboy

1994 - 115 hp - 4 cyl. Should

1994 - 115 hp - 4 cyl. Should I see water coming out of the weep hole when the engine is idling? I see water coming out of my spark plugs when the engine is idling. Is that normal?

"Hi there,

Water from the p

"Hi there,

Water from the plugs while idling? Are you running it with one plug out to see this? Or is it weeping thru the plug's gasket?

How is the compression?

Sounds like a gasket is blown, head, exhaust or other?

Keep us posted.

Benjamin."

"No, most likely you have a ga

"No, most likely you have a gasket shot somewhere. My first guess would be the cover gasket (under the cylinder block cover) - these don't have a "head" in the traditional sense..."

"Hi there,

Have you checked

"Hi there,

Have you checked the compression yet?

It occurred to me that the block could be cracked and water is seeping in from the cooling jackets.

I'd not run the motor like this, try open it ASAP. With that water in there, you'd possibly find some surface rust... I'm not too sure if there is a way to flush the motor of the moisture, especially if has stood a few days with this issue. Moisture would have no way to evaporate in a sealed system.

I'd replace the impeller as a matter of course, that is if you not too familiar with the history of the motor.

Best of luck!

Benjamin."

I haven't checked the comp

I haven't checked the compression by pulling the plug and placing my hand over it but I can see water being forced out of the top plug as if there is some compression there. What does compression or non-compression indicate?

"Hi,

Compression is needed,

"Hi,

Compression is needed, if the compression is bad, air is escaping from the cylinder. If air can escape, it means that air or water, can also enter from the wrong source.

I think you'll be looking at about 100 - 125 psi for good compression. All the cylinders should be within 5 PSI of one another.

Check compression first, we'll run from there.

Cheers!

Benjamin."

"I think that engine is done,

"I think that engine is done, if he saw water when he pulled it by hand the cylinder must be full. All the engine water should have drained out."

This past weekend I let the en

This past weekend I let the engine idle for a total of 6 hours and it didn't lock up. I let it idle 2 hours 3 different times. Water is seeping from around the treads of the top plug and is not coming out of the weep hole. I do see water coming out of a hole of the lower unit opposite side of the prop. I don't see water coming out of the sides of the head cover. Does that eliminate the head gasket as a possibility? Could it be the impeller?

"No, because this is basically

"No, because this is basically a "headless" motor - the head is entirely within the block. The (head) cover is there to cover the water channels that surround the head.

The water may in fact be migrating out of the sparkplug hole, but not from "within" the cylinder itself, but instead from the waterjacket which that cover is over. If the gasket is shot at the point where it surrounds the spark plug hole, then water will appear to be coming from the sparkplug itself.

The gasket is most likely only a few bucks so it's worth changing. Especially if water is not getting into the cylinder "yet", why risk it..."

"ok, as Graham stated above th

"ok, as Graham stated above the engine doesn't have a head gasket. They are a cast cylinder closed on the bottom end like a whiskey jug. The spark plug is then drilled into the bottom. Anyone can remove the water jacket cover and replace the gasket, its a known problem area.
The waterpump should be changed every 2 years. The engine won't fix itself by running it for hours, you are asking for trouble.
Look here for a parts break down
http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts.cfm"

Thanks guys. I called the loc

Thanks guys. I called the local Merc shop and they have a gasket. I will pick one up today and see what happens. You guys have saved me a ton of money. I appreciate all your help.

"Quick update... I removed th

"Quick update... I removed the cylinder cover and sure enough the gasket was blown around the plug where the water was coming out. I was talking to the man at the local Merc shop about the water not coming out of the weep hole. He said I probably got a dirt dobber or something clogging it up. Meantime I tried to run water down the rubber pipe leading to the weep hole and the water would not exit. I tried blowing air in the hole but no air would come out. I looked at the hole closer and noticed mud in the hole. I guess it is possible a dirt dobber had clogged the hole or maybe some muddy water from the last time the boat was used dried in the hole. I stuck a small stick in the hole to breakup the mud and ran water through it again and the water exited the hole. I am thinking because the hole was clogged so tight it caused the gasket to blow. I was cleaning the old gasket off when it got to dark to see. I will put the new gasket on today and see if the water comes out of the weep hole and not the plugs while the engine is idling. I will let you know.

Had I known the weep hole was clogged ahead of time, I might not have blown that cylinder cover gasket."

The blocked weep hole WILL NEV

The blocked weep hole WILL NEVER blow that gasket.Priodically retorque those screws to keep the joint tight.

When removing the cover I did

When removing the cover I did notice the screw closest to that plug was not as tight as the others. i will periodically re-torque them in the future.

"Hi there,

Once you've

"Hi there,

Once you've replaced the gasket, run the motor for at least an hour at quarter throttle. This is a similar procedure used for when a motor has been submerged. This will help flush any residual moisture you have in the system. You can do this on the water, or with muffs if your neighbours won't mind...

Might be a good idea to use some thread-lock to prevent the screws coming loose.

Regards!

Benjamin."

Replaced the gasket and starte

Replaced the gasket and started it up. The leak around the spark plug has stopped. Water is coming out of the weep hole now.

I plan on taking it to the lake this weekend. Thanks a million guys. Especially you Graham.

Back