Logo

1993 johnson 150 oil alarm

Not for certain.
Still waitin

Not for certain.
Still waiting for the answer on my question: What happens with timing when engine starts to act up?

im not a pro with a timing lig

im not a pro with a timing light but the timing went from somewhere around 6 up to about 15 when it acts up. flashes still seem to be equal tho. not erratic.

"That indicates that 'some

"That indicates that 'something' is activating the quick-start function in the power-pack or a double firing coil.
Disconnect the red/yellow from starter solenoid going to power-pack and permanently ground the white-black from power-pack and test again. If same symptom, mark off TDC of all cylinders on fly-wheel. Use white marker/chalk and number 1-2-3.... Move the pick-up from plug-lead to plug-lead and check on fly-wheel. When on cyl 1, You should only see '1' and not '2' or any other number etc. Move the timing light around the flywheel to check all over. Even better if You have a timing light with built in rpm-counter. The rpm will double if 2 cyls are firing at the same time. This to test if coils or even Power-pack are double firing."

"a slight voltage on that red/

"a slight voltage on that red/yellow,on st solenoid,will cause what morten is talking about,u should not have any,after starting."

ok thanks guys i will give tha

ok thanks guys i will give that a try. i wonder why it would be affected by me changing the optical sensor? and i can even alternate between powerpacks with no change unless i change the optical sensor. but i will definately try this so that we will know exactly what it is doing.

i havent had any time to do mu

i havent had any time to do much of anything else with it. it still does what it has been doing but i am almost sure it has something to do with the optical sensor.

"I have had cases where I have

"I have had cases where I have had to change optical sensor after change of PP even if the sensor has tested out ok on the analyzer. Why, I do not know.
Come back when You have tested the ignition with a timing light as mentioned above."

Back