Logo

98 hp reverse

david_r

Advanced Contributor
i bought a 9.8 merc bout 2 yea

i bought a 9.8 merc bout 2 years ago and the reverse worked for awhile then quit shifting in . it still goes into f and nue but wont even try to go past neu anymore. any suggestions? the guy i bought it from said he just had it worked on but didnt say what was done to it.

"David, there is a couple of s

"David, there is a couple of small parts in the shift linkage that get worn, broke etc - particularly for the reverse which seldom gets used.

There is a chance that it is just a little seized because of lack of use. I will post a diagram below.

Part 37 (a piece of spring steel) may be bent or part 34 a shift cam may be worn or damaged not allowing the shaft to travel counter clockwise when you try to shift into reverse.

Don't try and force it, you could break the handle.

You could try and loosen the screw 39 and keeper 38 and see if it will rotate back...

215742.jpg
"

"i really appreciate your advi

"i really appreciate your advice,diagrams,and experience, ill look into it first chance i get. will post my results. thank you very very much."

"another question ive never ha

"another question ive never had any reason to remove the prop other than curiosity about the info, but i was told this motor has some kind of a clutch instead of a shear pin to protect the lower unit-prop. is this true? ive never seen one that didnt have a sheer pin."

"Motors that have a "thru-

"Motors that have a "thru-hub" exhaust do not have a shear pin. Instead they have an inner prop hub, surrounded by a rubber sleeve which is then pressed into the prop.

If you hit something with enough force to stop the prop dead, the rubber will slip to prevent gear damage.

The downside of this systems is, eventually the rubber rots and the prop will slip all on it's own, however, most prop shops can "re-hub" a prop for a small outboard for about 35 bucks or so..."

"learn something new everyday,

"learn something new everyday, i thought it was for vibration. i havent ran it in a while bout(6 months,have 2 little boats 1 bass boat) my johnson and evenrudes have a model #. cant find one on this merc only # i got is 3365735. can you tell me what year? i was told early 70s by a buddy. hard to ask for info and parts without all info. i would appreciate any help. ive been on the johnson site getting schooled also. this is a great site. thanks for any help!"

Merc's only have a product

Merc's only have a production number that gives no information in and of itself - the year is deteremined by comparing the number to a production list.

Yours is a 1972 model - and with that serial any dealer can look up parts for you...

it still wouldnt budge so i pu

it still wouldnt budge so i pulled lower unit still wont go. any suggestions? thanks for help

"just got it working. not sure

"just got it working. not sure what i did. started taking lower unit apart, thought i might get a manual before i completely dissasembled. put it back together so not to lose any parts, and now it shifts back and forth. need test run and few more repairs. thanks the help, very much appreciated! any advice for performance diff if i change to a three blade prop vs the 9x9 two blade? thanks again for the help."

"Prop is fine - I have a pair

"Prop is fine - I have a pair of 9.9's (just a little newer than yours) and have played around with all manner of changes - different props, hydrofoils etc etc.

Have found in general that the 9 pitch is the best all round. If you were using the motor as a kicker and pushing alot of weight on a larger boat then perhaps a 6 or 7 pitch would be in order.

There is also a 10 1/2 pitch out there but have found that to actually decrease top end speed on these little motors - just a bit too much to push unless you are running extremely light.

Going from a 2 blade to a 3 blade will also take a mile or 2 off your top end speed, but will run a little "smoother" (less engine vibration) - I run a 4 blade on my 15 horse which is used almost exclusively in speed restricted canals - keeps the nose down nice under 10 mph and does run very nicely.

Match your prop type to what you are using the motor for and you will be pleased with it's performance - but, there is no single prop that will do "everything"..."

thanks for the info. i use my

thanks for the info. i use my little engs on two different v-bottom boats in the creeks. i have several buds go fishing couple are big guys when with me and 9.8 at wot it seems to kind of surge like it has a second gear but is shfting in and out. could this be prop to hub slippage? thanks for the help

Back