Logo

1992 40hp johnson tilt and trim

J

JAAAAA

"My tilt and trim is not worki

"My tilt and trim is not working. It will not lift the outboard up. It will lower it very fast, but not lift it. If I unhook it from the outboard it will go up and down. Plus it will not hold the outboard up but about half way. Any ideas? Thanks."

mine was acting the same way w

mine was acting the same way when i bought it and it was just low on fluid then i found out it has a slow leak. these other guys are real helpful sorry im not very knowledgeable on the hydraulic system.

"if you can hear the motor whe

"if you can hear the motor when you move switch up/down,that will rule out electronics,switch relays wires etc.if it is not fluid related,like dave said or a leak , motor could be weak or may have some other internal issue.it is a simple set up.motor pumps forward cylenders go up and so on .repost later with your findings"

The fluid level is good. The m

The fluid level is good. The motor works fine. I can hear it pumping the fluid. I think there is a bad seal.

"You could have air in the sys

"You could have air in the system, it takes quite a lot of bleeding if it has been disturbed. Work it up and down manually with the filler open, keep trying the vent on the lower portion of the motor for air escaping. Don't forget that if air escapes then this leaves a void for more fluid to be added. I'm not an expert by any means but it worked on my 1987 40hp after displaying similar symptoms. You may need the vent cracked open to allow you to move it manually."

i was looking through the sier

i was looking through the sierra lubes and noticed that they have a tilt/trim oil is that the same as regular hydraulic fluid or do i need to switch to the regular stuff? thanks for the help

Back