Logo

Gas milage

cuzzx

"I'm running a 75hp 1994 M

"I'm running a 75hp 1994 Mariner on a 20ft pontoon. Just put this motor on this Toon and have run it 3 times. I'm getting about 1 mile per gallon. The motor seams to be bogging a little full throtle. 5200RPM max. I ran it yesterday with 3 gallons in the tank, went just over 1 mile and checked the tank. It had one gallon left.
Fires up good , idles good."

"Harold, basic rule of thumb -

"Harold, basic rule of thumb - any outboard will burn (in gallons) 10% of it's horsepower at wide open throttle.

So your 75 horse divided by 10 = 7.5 gallons per hour at WOT. And that's if you are not "underpowered" on your rig. If you are then it's going to burn "more".

If your motor is matched to your boat, 2 gallons of gas in a 75 running open should give you about 15 minutes of run time...."

"ok, lets see. I ran ten miles

"ok, lets see. I ran ten miles on my old prop and used 6 gallons. I changed props ,from 13x19ss to a 13 3/4 x 15 alu, put my rpm at 5200 and it did not seam to improve the gas usage, next I need to check plugs , try seafoam and what else do you think. The cavitation plate is still about 4inches below the water line, ???."

Back