Logo

1995 30hp 2stroke Merc Not Starting

redcobia

"I have a starting problem I c

"I have a starting problem I can't figure out. I have fresh fuel, new filter, clean filter under cowling, new plugs (old ones looked fine). I pulled the carb and cleaned the jet and checked the float, all seemed fine. Ignition fuse (under cowling) is not blown. I'm not sure how to check the ignition mudule or coils and hate to just start changing parts but I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin"

"I would ground the spark plug

"I would ground the spark plugs to the block first to see if you have spark.If yes start at the fuel tank working forward to check fuel flow ,squirt some fuel or areo start down the carby throats which should at least make the motor fire.sometimes dirt gets stuck in needle and seat and around float tapping the side of carby can sometimes loosen them up .If it fires you can try manual choking the motor by covering the carby throats giving the motor a gutful of fuel .If it runs, try doing this a few times this floods the carby and can flush out any debris.If you have no spark ,you will need a muitl meter (resistance tester )and search this forum for for the required tests."

Back