Logo

2002 50hp 2stroke merc spark problems

ptb

"i have a 02 50hp merc that wi

"i have a 02 50hp merc that will barley run, fouls plugs and dies frquently. Just bought it. got to checking and found 2 yellow wires coming from the stator that were melted and shorted and the spark to the plugs is very weak and goes and comes. Any ideas what and how to check the stator and the box these 2 wires go to?"

"Yellow wires go to the altern

"Yellow wires go to the alternator regulator to charge the battery. They oftern appear melted. Merc has problems with these. The green wires are the charge coil for the CDM packs.

'02 engine has a CDM system that is tricky to troubleshoot.
1 cylinder not firing:

1. If either pack goes bad than it will prevent the other from sparking. (stop circuit failure)
2. The packs are wired in series out of the stator. If either pack has a bad ground or diode inside, the charge circuit is incomplete.

Nothing is firing:
Either the stator failed or the key switch is messed up.
Checking the stator could be done with an ohm meter."

do the yellow wires also feed

do the yellow wires also feed the tach signal? when i first started working on it the tach would not work until i cleared the short on these wires and the motor would only run for a couple of seconds. i disconnected the yellow wires and the motor would run a little longer but lost the tach. dont know if it coincident but th eoil alarm goes off continuously.

"Yes, through the grey wire.

"Yes, through the grey wire.
The stator is probably fried and the voltage regulator, too. Both would beed to be replaced for the alternator to work again.

The alarm seems to signal overheat. I do not know on that yet."

"i tried disconnecting the tem

"i tried disconnecting the temp switch but still got the alarm, disconnected the oil switch and alarm went away."

Back