Logo

OIL PUDDLE IN CARB THROAT

"I have a1994 90 hp Merc that

"I have a1994 90 hp Merc that has been running really rich lately. At idle it seems to be ok but when I give it throttle there is alot of 2 cycle smoke. I pulled the air box and found a small puddle anout 1.5 ml of 2 cycle oil in the bottom carb throat. The other two were dry. the puddle was in front of what lookis like a small jet a little fatter than a needle. Any ideas what might be causing this?
Thanks,
John"

"lower the engine, pump the fu

"lower the engine, pump the fuel bulb, look down the carb throats. Any fuel dripping out means a worn needle/seat or stuck float. Could be a piece of crud under needle also."

"The oil puddle is before the

"The oil puddle is before the butterfly. I found it about a half an inch into the throat when I took the airbox off. Would that still be what you suggested? Let me ask also, in the oil injection, is the oil mixed with the gas in the carb bowl or is it "injected" somewhere else. I am asking because I am seeing what look like little jets maybe the size of a pencil lead infront of the butterflys on each of the carbs what are those?
Thanks,
John"

The gas dries up and leaves th

The gas dries up and leaves the oil behind. The oil injected into the lines before the fuel pump. The neddle valve is probably bad in that that carb.

"Thanks bandit. I hear what yo

"Thanks bandit. I hear what you are saying but, this is really fresh oil. I will look into the needle but can you think of anything else that may be doing it? It just dose not seem like it has been in contact with gas.
thanks,
John"

Back