Logo

Mercury 96 water cooling problems

timpowell

have a 9.6 doesn't look li

have a 9.6 doesn't look like water is circulating - have had bottom end and engine covers off all cleaned out 0 - could it be the impeller = is this the little rubber bit in the lower end do these wear how can I work out if it needs replacing - any other suggestions ? thanks Tim

"it should be changed every 2

"it should be changed every 2 years. if you ran it and water is not pumping, parts of the old pump may have gone through system and clogged passages, thats why we change them. If the engine has overheated sell it for parts because it will cost more to fix it than what its worth"

JB thanks sorry to be so dim -

JB thanks sorry to be so dim - the engine came with a boat I bought last year it was kept on salt water guy who I bought it from seemed to take care but there is no history of what was done when
The impeller looks in one piece but I am not sure what a good one looks like
Would like to try to get the water flowing before I give up on it
If the impeller is old would that mean that the water flow would be restricted ?

Thanks again for your time

"take a weed eater string and

"take a weed eater string and clean out tell tale hose.
This might have a thermostat restricting flow to tell tale, either way change the water pump. A new pump fits very tight in the housing. To install, position pump on shaft, lube pump with vasoline, slide housing down on pump while turning shaft clockwise. Here is a link for part locations, will need serial number or year.
http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts.cfm"

"Ok have fitted the impeller a

"Ok have fitted the impeller and I now have water out f the outlet it runs a solid stream for about 2 minutes and then this becomes intermittent / turns to steam,

I have tested by putting hose on outlet this runs out through drain plug and works both ways

I don't get much water out of the inlet at the bottom of the engine but I have pushed a clear wire right through and it is clear. When I take the bottom end off again impeller seems to be fitted correctly and I am sure the impeller tube up to the engine was fitted correctly ( looks like it just sleeves up and over the down pipe from the engine)

I think I am trying to get a constant stream of water at a given temperature that remains standard

Sorry if I am obviously a beginner but would like to crack this myself if I can any thoughts anyone ??"

Thanks for your interest seria

Thanks for your interest serial number is 9340112

Currently have engine back together still showing water stream which turns to steam - sounds ok
But something is obviously wrong still

all help welcome

Tim

"Tim I looked here, [url=""]ht

"Tim I looked here, http://www.usboatsupply.com/Mercury_Mercruiser_Parts_Catalog3a.php?mc=01&ms=1110 &si=297
and only found a listing for a 9.8 not a 9.6. By your serial number looking at the block and case picture you might have the thermostat located on the left of the block right under the tell tale hose. Remove it and run the engine or inspect the assembly. You could also have a bad gasket/crack in the exhaust plate. Hard to guess from here since I might be looking at the wrong engine, how about checking the tag and year again."

JB thanks have followed the li

JB thanks have followed the link you sent This doesnt look like my engine - it has two cylinders ! Will have another look for a thermostat on 2 cylinder diagrams it shows this inside the head ?

Which I have previously had apart as part of this and didn't see anything
Will check around for any more clues

Thanks

Tim

There is a plastic washer at t

There is a plastic washer at the top of the water tube.On severe overheat it melts over the tube and blocks it. Remove powerhead to inspect this.

"Sounds like the thermostat is

"Sounds like the thermostat is bad. every time I punch up your serial number and hp I get the same listing as above, on different web sites. The thermo pictured is on the exhaust plate side of engine. Your engine has no cyl head, just a water jacket cover. If your engine was made in Canada, the serial number will be messed up, just like those Canucks.;)"

Back