Logo

Engine Hood for 1983 35HP Johnson SeaHorse

johnson83

"Does anyone know where I can

"Does anyone know where I can find a hood for my 1983 35HP Johnson SeaHorse. I rebuilt my grandfather's old 1983 Whaler 13' which I found in the mud in New Orleans after sitting there uncovered for 12 years. Unfortunately, after getting it up to my home in Bouulder, CO, The faulty latch on the lid failed on the highway and it flew directly under an 18 wheeler. I've spent almost a year and more than I can afford on this engine until it now runs great, but now has no hood... Right as I finally worked out the last bug (spun prop hub).

Thanks in advance,
Stu Galvis
[email protected]"

"Ihad a 1983 35hp Johnson ,I u

"Ihad a 1983 35hp Johnson ,I used a 1972 20hp Johnson hood even added a pull starter to my electric start outboard so I have electric and manual start comes in handy."

"Stu,

Is your engine pull o

"Stu,

Is your engine pull or electric start?

Nice thing about the 83's is the lack of graphics. Just a couple stripes and the logo. If you can find a nice clean hood you'll be in there.

IMO.... I would stay away from fleabay unless you can find the "exact" thing you are looking for. Even then... I would not expect it to be very nice.

These hoods are very common. They all should work (depending upon elec. or pull) from the early 70's to the late 80's with the same "look".

Any local outboard repair shop should have plenty laying around..... If not.... Give me a shout... I know a guy here that has several of these engines laying around.

I used to hit these shops for hard to find parts. They are out there......

Check your e-mail.

AJ"

"AJ,
I actually got a '79

"AJ,
I actually got a '79 from fleabay for 50 bucks including shipping and insurance that's in way nicer shape than the original. The problem, my friend is the graphics. It's way too busy in disco fashion and I was thinking about acetoning off most of the design...Big pain in the donkey, but better than dance-party motor hood. At least it was cheap, fast (had it in three days) and in ok shape. I'm still looking for an actual '83 in descent shape, so let me know if your friend has any I might be interested in. Send me an email directly, as I have more questions that are off of the topic of this thread and it'll be easier that way.

Thanks,
Stu [email protected]"

"Stu,

Call these people....

"Stu,

Call these people.....

Magic Brush 386 736 1142

They specialize in decals.

I forgot who I talked to over there. They made me some new decals for my Whaler. They will probably be able to hook you up with some 83 style decals.

The 1983 is a red and black band with a small size johnson logo on the side and a 35 for the back. If they need the fonts I can send them a copy of mine.

It is worth a try. Finding an 83 hood is a shot in the dark.

Tried to e-mail you..... No luck...

AJ"

Back