Logo

Wont turn over

cordgrass

Contributing Member
I just purchased a 1991 tracke

I just purchased a 1991 tracker evinrude 40 (TE40ELEIA) with problems. I cant figure out what the problem is the starter turns but the engine does not turn over (but it looks like it wants to). What you guys think the problem is. Hope is not burnt. The guy i got it from said that the lower unit maybe bad and that will not allow it to turnover.

Thanks

"You say the starter turns but

"You say the starter turns but the engine does not.

Sound like you're saying that the bendix gear engages the flywheel and the starter armature is turning within the bendix gear and not turning the flywheel. If this is the case, the clutch within the bendix gear is shot.... replace the bendix gear.

If on the other hand, the engine is locked up and will not turn over at all, even by hand, drop the lower unit to determine whether the problem is with the powerhead or the lower unit.

When time permits, visit my store ) at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

I cant turn it a full rotation

I cant turn it a full rotation by hand but it moves a little (maybe an inch) and also when i try to crank it it moves . .

"If on the other hand, the eng

"If on the other hand, the engine is locked up and will not turn over at all, even by hand, drop the lower unit to determine whether the problem is with the powerhead or the lower unit."

i pulled the lower unit off an

i pulled the lower unit off and the powerhead is fine just have to find a new/used lower unit.

my 70hp was exactly the same s

my 70hp was exactly the same started to panic thought the power head was ceased but turned ot to be the bottom end was happy with that but still was an expensive fix hope you get sorted i got my replacement off ebay

Back