Logo

45 honda exhaust smoke

S

Starcraft Jim

"This spring my 45 hp honda ha

"This spring my 45 hp honda has an increase is white exhaust smoke ,Iam looking for any info on the reason why?thanks"

"Gday Jim
You need more info

"Gday Jim
You need more info how old, how many hours what oil ur using what kind of use it gets when does the smoke appear (hot cold on restart after a good run)etc.
Im assuming its a fair age since the 45 is now 50 and hasnt been sold for more than a few years.

Regards Spanaman"

"Spanaman

I believe it is

"Spanaman

I believe it is a 1993,the oil I use is castrol GTX 10w30,last year I used Honda oil,I troll for salmon in Lake Ontario and it starts to smoke(white) a little more heavy after about 3hours,Iam running the motor roughly at 900-1000rpm or 2.7mph,it is just a little more excessive than last year.Thanks for the reply"

"Jim
Internal combustion engi

"Jim
Internal combustion engines really should not be idled for extended periods regardless of what type of engine. The reason is, idling causes the bores to glaze, when this happens the rings can’t seal properly and you cannot obtain proper oil control. You may need to give the engine a good hard run to clean the cobwebs out as they say. I believe the honda oil has an SG API rating which is now obsolete the current rating is SM, i feel this is an inferior grade of oil, you could try running a better oil. The oil should be changed every 50 hours also. The other thing is if your engine has high hours it may just be wearing out in which case you could try some oil with a higher viscosity rating.

Cheers Spanaman"

"Spananman

Thanks for the

"Spananman

Thanks for the quick response,I gave the motor a good half hour run so we will see next time out,do you recommend any specific oil,I just went to castrol gtx because my boss runs a new honda 90 with the same oil and the marine dealer I deal with was all out of honda oil I used last year..I do an oil/filter change three a year regardless(spring/summer,fall),that oil only had about 12 hours on it,so we will see. thanks again"

Back