Logo

Exhaust manifold aq120b 4 cyl sohc

sunliner

"tried removing the exhaust ma

"tried removing the exhaust manifold on my 1979 vp and as i expected all came off except the two at the rear cylinder which twisted off at the head of the bolt on both. Here is my problem, e.m. won't budge. It appears to be rusted fast to the bottom bolt. I've applied rust parts solvent, Ive used leverage bars where it's safe to do so, Ihaven't tried heat as of yet. Does anyone have a viable suggestion to remove this thing? I'm left hanging in Alpine,Ca."

"John,

Are the heads of the

"John,

Are the heads of the bolts sheared off, or just rounded?

If they are rounded, take a file, or grinder and square them off so you can place an undersized wrench, or socket onto them.

If the heads sheared off and the bolt is now acting as a stud, spray some PB Blaster along the bolt. I would then use a pry bar positioned against the engine block and manifold and carefully apply pressure. If this does not free the manifold, try a few solid strikes with a dead blow hammer.

Heat will also help. CAREFULLY apply heat to the head where the bolts thread into if the heads are still on. If they have sheared off apply heat to the manifold where the bolts run through it. If you do not have oxy, I recommend MAP gas in lieu of propane. Just be very careful and note where your gas line is. Good luck."

"Mike, thankyou for your reply

"Mike, thankyou for your reply to my problem. I do have Mapp gas and will follow your suggestion as I have done all the others you suggestedi.e. prybar at block with dead blows with brass mallet. Will try the pb as that is good stuff and need to get more. Thanks again!"

Back