Logo

Shift rod adjustment

bones774

"J30rced after taking apart th

"J30rced after taking apart the impeller and replacing,now having difficulty shifting. It goes into forward and neutral but prop is always in reverse. Need help before this weekend thanks."

"Hi Joe,

I didn't rem

"Hi Joe,

I didn't remove any long shoulder screw, and did not see any plastic retainer.
after removing intake screen I just undid the the nuts that hold the linkage together."

"Therein lies your problem. Th

"Therein lies your problem. The nut that goes on the top shift rod is kept there by the small beveled plastic retainer I mentioned.

With that retainer missing,the shift rod simply slides up and down within that nut, moving nothing. Look at that top rod... see that groove? That's where the plastic retainer goes. Part number 336429, tapered end faces up so as to go inside of the nut.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"took a look at motor and don&

"took a look at motor and don't see anything like that, i looked at johnson service manual and no mention of that part, I checked the online microfiche sources and no part listed for that motor j30rced. maybe you could reconsider. thnaks"

"Reconsider? If that engine sh

"Reconsider? If that engine shifted before you took it apart, that plastic retainer had to be there. Who took it apart. I don't know what manual or microfiche you were looking at, but here's a blow up of the lower shift rod (#48), the nut, and the retainer (#73).

215820.jpg
89_30

"Oh sorry, I did write a comme

"Oh sorry, I did write a comment but forgot to push the submit button second time,
First sorry if I offende, did not mean to. Next I took it apart and it did shift fine prior.
It appears there are two retainers the lower one should not have been touched by me, seems like that is at the lower end of shift rodinside the gearcase unit, the upper one i never saw maybe still in the nut someplace? The photo makes things much cleare, sure seems like you were right. I only see this engine on weekends, so now have to wait a couple of days and get that part. Thanks"

Back