Logo

18 Hp idle issues

cbmercury

When i adjust the carb to smoo

When i adjust the carb to smooth it out when running wide open it runs fine but when i come back to idle it stalls and I have to back the idle mixture out to keep in running

suggestions ?

"the idle speed jet only contr

"the idle speed jet only controls idle mixture and does not effect WOT. Sounds like your carb needs to be cleaned and the float set. Pump the bulb with engine off, look down throat of carb, any fuel dripping out is bad"

"Are you adjusting the idle je

"Are you adjusting the idle jet IN GEAR? If not, it's done wrong and will stall on you.

Jeff"

"Hi Guys,

thanks for the fe

"Hi Guys,

thanks for the feedback and sorry for taking so long to reply. haven't changed a thing but noticed what i believe is "heavy" fuel consumption. ran it for about an hour WOT and burned 3 gals of gas. not sure if this is "heavy" but also noticed lots of smoke and when I tilted the motor up gas/oil was making quite a large slick on the water.

I ran a tank of clean gas with Sea Foam and it seemed to make it run a little smoother. the big problem is when you crank the throttle wide open it seems to miss and sputter for 30-45 seconds then it clears itself and runs pretty good at WOT.

could it be a setting or do i need to clean/rebuild the carb ?"

Back