Logo

WOT response

briang0

Regular Contributor
When I go to WOT on my BB 409

When I go to WOT on my BB 409 it will go right up to 3600 rpms and then after about 1-2 minutes without changing the throttle position it will move up to 3800-3900 rpms 4000 is top end. I feel the the rpms is good but is this the way it is suppose to respond? I tuned it up in the spring replaced the separator and have new fuel in the tank. The only thing I'm not sure about is the timing I can't find any marks on the flywheel and trying to do it from the front of the engine is pretty much impossible.

"Is the motor FULLY warmed up

"Is the motor FULLY warmed up when you plane off? One of my motors takes a lot long time to warm up all the way (and regardless of the t-stats used).

On timing it, can you see the flywheel through an opening? If so, you can 'degree it' and use it for timing purposes.

Jeff"

"Hi Jeff,

The motor had bee

"Hi Jeff,

The motor had been running for about 45 minutes at least 1500 rpms so I think it was warm. I can see the flywheel, I'm not sure what I'm should be looking for as far as timing marks go. I went through every tooth on the flywheel and took burrs off last month working on a starting issue but never saw any timing marks so I guess 'degree it' will be something I look into."

"I find that as the speed of t

"I find that as the speed of the boat increases the RPM increases. Due to inertia, it takes a little time for the boat to accelerate so this may be the reason for the delay. It could also be that some biological growth is accumulating on the bottom of the boat while parked in the slip and with increasing speed it sluffs off. This is especially true if you have an ablative botton paint.

Chuck Hanson"

"Degreeing a flywheel consists

"Degreeing a flywheel consists of pulling plug # 1 and bringing that piston up to TDC. The usual method is to screw in a spark plug that has been hollowed out for a bolt. The bolt is screwed in until it touches the piston. The trick is to get the piston to bottom out on the bolt JUST before TDC in both directions (rotations) by turning the crank with a socket and mark each spot on the flywheel. The true TDC will be between these two marks.

You can then paint a mark on the flywheel, along with adding a pointer or arrow painted on the bellhousing, and use that to time the motor.

Jeff"

Back