Logo

1985 OMC

K

kid

I am stumped. After looking at

I am stumped. After looking at the book I can still not find out what the screw is at the top of the outdrive right at the bellow. It looks like a place to put oil in but can't find a place to drain the old so I can put new oil in ( if thats what it's for. I am new to this boat and soon to have it in the water. ( I HOPE )
Thank for you time.
Frank

that's the oil level chack

that's the oil level chack for the intermediate bearing housing. The drain is starbord side - tilt up the drive and look under and to the right of the ball gears...should be a drain plug pointing down at an angle. fill from the drain (pump oil in) to the level of the top fill holes threads.

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
215344.jpg
"

That's Great thank you so

That's Great thank you so much.
And Hy Stat you say to fill it up to the threads at the top.

Frank

"yep -pump from the bottom unt

"yep -pump from the bottom until it flows out the top. Put the top plug in, then quickly remove the pump and put the bottom plug in - you'll lose a teaspoon or so, but this is the process to fill every oil compartment on your style of drive to ensure proper filling. If you don't have the pump, you want to get one."

"I got mine from Wal-Mart. It

"I got mine from Wal-Mart. It is called or made by Quick Silver and I think it was like 4 bucks. It is in the marine section. You can just buy the tube of lube and squeeze it into the bottom drain plug until it come out the top but it can be a mess. Like mentioned, get the pump. Once you see the oil up around the threads at the top, put the top plug in, then unhook the pump and quickly put the drain plug in. By putting the top plug in first, it creates a vacuum so the lube won't pour out of the drain. Gives you more time to get that drain plug in there without loosing much of your lube. I usually fill it until it comes out the top because you will lose a little when you reinstall the bottom drain plug."

Back