Logo

1964 Johnson 95 water problem

bigjohnson25

"I have a question that hopefu

"I have a question that hopefully doesn't sound too stupid. Can anyone tell me where the water intake and outlet is located on a 1964 Johnson 9.5 outboard? The motor has hardly any hours on it, and has been sitting for probably 15 years. A neighbor wants me to check it over and get it running for him.

I cleaned the sediment bulb and filter, took the carb apart and cleaned it and checked the float/etc. and changed the lower unit lube. I submerged the lower unit and it started on the third pull.

I just want to make sure the water pump is working properly, and on other motors (all nmuch newer) the location has been obvious- but this one I'm not sure. Does it take water and send it out down just over the prop? Or is it somewhere up top that could be clogged? Any help would be greatly appreciated."

"The large hose outlet, just b

"The large hose outlet, just below the hood to pan junction, on the rear port side of the engine.... water should shoot out of there with quite a force."

"Ok thanks, that was the only

"Ok thanks, that was the only sensible spot I could see for the water to come out of - I must have a clog or bad impeller - nothing is coming out when it's running but air."

Back