Logo

Volvo Penta Md11c anode

guydano

I have tried to locate the ano

I have tried to locate the anode on the md11c. The manual i have makes no mention of this. Where is the anode located? Thanks.

I think there is a zinc anode

I think there is a zinc anode behind the thermostat housing. Remove the thermostat housing and then look behind where it was mounted toward the bottom and you will see a hole for a small zinc anode. I have an MD11C 2 cyl 1977 vintage (not the sail drive) and that is where it is on my engine. Good hunting.

Well I have never seen it. Do

Well I have never seen it. Do you mean behind the thermostat or just in the cover?

(There is a hole in the cover which is not used on the MD11C although the same cover is used on the MD1B where it is the cooling water inlet to the manifold.)

There is no mention of an anode in the Owners Manual or the Workshop Manual and I cant find one on the parts lists either.

How do you get replacements?

Look at the shop manual page 2

Look at the shop manual page 21 where it shows the thermostat HOUSING removed and shows the two sealing rings. The smaller sealing ring is sealing around an area where there is no actual hole in the thermostat housing but I think is intended instead to seal around the hole where the anode is on the engine. So remove the thermostat housing and look behind it where that small round o ring is intended to seal. As for where to get the anodes I do not know. If where I am saying it is is right then it appears to be a small zinc "plug" that just fits in that hole. Next time I am at the boat I will look in the owners manual and see if it is mentioned in that.

"I now know where you mean. T

"I now know where you mean. That hole is not used on the MD11C but it is the same cover as is used for the older single cylinder engine where it is the cooling water inlet to the manifold (on the MD11 that's half way along on the underside) I don't know why they used the same cover ~~~~ I spent ages trying to unblock a non existent hole in the manifold to line up with it!

I can assure you there is no mention of an anode in owners manual, workshop manual or parts list.
There is no anode and one fitted where you suggest would serve no useful purpose whatsoever."

Hello again.I have an MD11C sa

Hello again.I have an MD11C sail drive volvo engine. That has a V drive. The engine is raw water cooled. Since i put it in the water. I noticed that oil or diesal have been coming out the exhaust. the engine is not producing excessive smoke. the engine starts fine and runs good. Would you have an idea about what is causing this problem/

"I should add this is only whe

"I should add this is only when the engine is running. the higher i throttle the engine the more oily substance it produces. It has to be transmission oil, diesal or engine oil. If it were engine oil though i would think that i would have a lot more smoke. Thanks"

I tried to replace the engine

I tried to replace the engine anode on my volvo penta 2001 but could not shift the nut head with an open ended wrench. Anyone got some tips on how to shift it? There's no room in the engine bay to use a longer wrench or extension. The annode nut head is 12mm and square so I can't get a hex socket on either. I was also worried I might damage the engine mounts!

Back