Logo

Need Some Help With Timing Belt Alignment on Honda BF8A Outboard

ssullivan

"Hi everyone,

I was having

"Hi everyone,

I was having trouble with my Honda BF8A in that it wasn't idling properly and stalled during idle. The engine is a 2008 and has 15 hours on it.

My wife hit a rock with it just before it started acting strange.

I read a post on here saying that someone had their timing belt slip from an impact with a rock, so I was attempting to move mine one notch in either direction to see if that was a problem.

Well, I MESSED UP!

I lost the timing entirely.

I see the dot on the wheel that controls the valves. I see the notched dot in the engine casing. I assume you line both of these up.

However... I can't seem to figure out how to line up flywheel! I see the IF and IT markings on the flywheel, but see nothing to line those marking up with. They are about 1/2" to 3/4" apart from each other.

Questions:

1) What do I line those IF and IT markings up with, and which marking do I use?

2) Am I right to guess I line the small drilled notch in the cam/valve wheel up with the similar sized notch in the engine block?

3) There is a white line on the belt. I have no idea what to use this for. Anyone?

Speedy replies would be appreciated because I have to pick my wife up in 3 hours at the dock, I live aboard, and this is my only means of transportation. I can't row in. The current is too strong."

"I should add... that I have t

"I should add... that I have tried lining the IF and IT markings up with the rear of the engine and was able to get it to start and just sputter along for a few seconds before dying. I know I'm close... but I need to have it perfect. Thanks again!
"

"More stuff...

Just got it

"More stuff...

Just got it running, but not well. The engine says timing is "F Mark 15 deg before Top Dead Center"

I lined the F mark up with the back (stern) of the engine and lined up the dot on the cam wheel and the dot on the engine block.

Still... it's got tremendous lag and wants to stall, then runaway. It keeps hunting and cycling around at idle. I haven't dared put it in gear and head off because I'm in an area with swift currents and would be swept out to sea if it failed.

Little help? Anyone?"

"SOLUTION:

Well, I found my

"SOLUTION:

Well, I found my own solution before anyone posted. For the benefit of future posters and readers...

To line up a Honda timing belt, you take the "F" mark and line it up with the notch that is located below the housing that holds the pull start mechanism on.

You then pop the rubber cap off the "cam/valve pulley wheel" and rotate it until you see the points through the little window. Line up the line on the points and the line on the cam/valve pulley wheel.

Keeping the flywheel F mark lined up, and the cam/valve wheel lined up, slide the timing belt on.

Presto! It works."

Back