Logo

Lost Spark

takem4fun

"O.K. guys I purchased a 20&#3

"O.K. guys I purchased a 20' SeaOx with an Evinrude V-6 200hp counter rotator (model #E200CXESM)last month from N.C. I transported it back to my home in Michigan. I took it for a ride and had a problem with it idleing but it ran great at WOT. I took it ot my local marina and had the mechanic give her the once over. I had a new water pump put in, the lower unit vacum tested. The carbs were sincronized and the idle adjusted. New plugs were put in it. The mechanic found that the manual choke had been activated thus the problem with the idle. All the above work was done by an OMC mechanic. I took her for a test ride. I let the motor idle to warm up, then ran at idle speed for about 3 minutes. After that I ran the motor at WOT for about 5 minutes it purred like a kitten. Now for my problem, during the ride the motor lost power and stalled. It felt like it was not getting fuel and just bogged down till the motor stopped running. The motor would start then immediatley stall. I was able to get it running and made it back to the dock. When I got the boat on the trailer I turned the motor over and it started right up. Today I was going to check out the problem and the motor would not start. I pulled my plugs and found that I'm not getting any spark to any of the cylinders. Nothing has been changed in the electrical system except for the spark plugs. I'm getting fuel just no spark. I'm sure I did not loose all six coils at the same time. The red fuse on the port side of the motor checked OK. There is no kill switch wired in the system. I checked all the wire conections, all were clean with good contact. Where do I start? Also did an OHM reading on all the coil packs with an average result of around 253 except for the top port cylinder which read 359. Thanks for the help in advance. Also can any one tell me if this a low compression motor 5 cylinders 80 PSI one 77 PSI."

"sounds like that engine is du

"sounds like that engine is due for a 'freshening'...overhaul...posss lots of hours,..comp is too low."

"Disconnect the large plug on

"Disconnect the large plug on the cable under the hood. Then jump the motor using jumper cables. If you now have fire with the large plug disconnected, you either have a bad ignition switch, or a shorted wired to the switch, which kills the ignition."

"Suggestion..... When entering

"Suggestion..... When entering a post (or reply) break the post up into smaller paragraphs. One big long paragraph is extremely hard to read, and It eventually has everything flowing together."

Back