Logo

Lots of questions

rickstoys

"This is my first boat and I d

"This is my first boat and I don't know anything about it. It has a Volvo penta 3.0 with a cobra outdrive. Can someone tell me where to find the motor serial numbers? Also my oil pressure gage jumps all over the place,I think I have an electrical issue??"

"The nameplate with the motor

"The nameplate with the motor serial number is usually riveted where the block meets the bell housing, just above the starter.

The oil pressure gauge reading jumping all over the place definitely looks like an electrical issue to me. You may want to check the connections behind your oil gauge and at the oil pressure sender. Alternatively, you could also have a defective sender."

"Took it out today,oil pressur

"Took it out today,oil pressure was 40psi(steady) for about the first hour then it dropped to about 20psi-steady.It seemed like it dropped a cylinder-bad vibration after going through a shallow canal-once we got back to a deep lake I wound it up to about 4000 rpm and it seemed to clear up. It has new plugs,but I'm thinking it may need wires and a cap."

"One other thing, the temp gau

"One other thing, the temp gauge stayed right about 100 degrees. The former owner said it had an overheating problem and he had the fresh water impeller replaced,,I think it may be a bad gauge because of the way the other gauges are acting.Also my speedometer has stopped working,any ideas?????"

"You could have a bad ground.

"You could have a bad ground. Try to identify the ground pin in one of the gauges, then get a few feet of electrical wire and link it directly to the (-) terminal of your battery. If the symptoms clear, then check the condition of the ground wire (including terminals) running from your instrument panel, which usually is connected to the engine block.

You could also have a bad ignition switch or a bad contact in the ignition switch terminals.

I think it is time to get your multimeter and have some fun troubleshooting. Whatever the problem is, it should be pretty simple to fix."

"Went out again today and ever

"Went out again today and everything went well till we got back to the ramp and it was stuck in forward,,no neutral,no reverse,,move the stick backward and it went forward..Tried shutting off and restarting in neutral,,no luck,,don't know what I did, but it started working properly again and was able to get it on the trailer. The shifter stick feels 'sloppy' so I'm going to look into replacing it. Can anyone recommend a parts house that won't RAPE you on parts???"

"Sounds like your problem may

"Sounds like your problem may be the shifting cable (loose, or sticking, or in need of adjustment).

Welcome to the wonders of owning a "new to you" boat. It will take you awhile to get it figured out, I think most of us have gone through your same learning curve.

Regarding a parts house that won't "rape" you on parts, I doubt very much that such animal exists. The moment you add the word "marine" to a part, it usually becomes clear to you that the word BOAT indeed stands for Bring Out Another Thousand.
biggrin.gif
"

"Thanks El ! I read most of wh

"Thanks El ! I read most of what was on Stuart's page,,very informative. I'm going to look into some of the stuff he talked about. Mine is a 1997 SX cobra but I guess the info is the same. I bought a Clymer Stern Drive manual so I won't be completely in the dark."

Back