Logo

Engine Problems cutting out non starting loss of power

paulbol

"hi just bought a boat with a

"hi just bought a boat with a mercury 200hp 1994 engine.

1st time we had it out we had a few problems with the running of the engine it kept cutting out, took it home ran the engine in a bucket and since then its been fine until today!!

filled up the tank with petrol before we took it out, it ran ok for 5 minutes, the went back out on it and it was loosing power it would go alone at speed for 2 secs then cut down then go again. thought i'd better take it back in and the engine cut out, 10 minutes later it restared for 1 minute then cut out again, got it started and into shore and its near started since.

anyone got any ideas?? the engine turns over fuel is going into the engine and there is spark but kick not starting!!

thanks"

"have u acually seen fuel gett

"have u acually seen fuel getting to engine? does the primer bulb hold pressure? try squeezing the primer whislt trying to start the engine. even if u squeeze it then leave it for 5 minutes to see if it holds it pressure, if u have spark, and the engine is winding over and its kicking like it wants to go it sounds like a fuel problem, could be blockage, could be dirty fuel, fuel pump on the blink, or air leak in fuel lines. try squirting some 2 stroke into the throats of the carbs direcdlty when winding it over to see it it fires up."

"I experienced something simil

"I experienced something similar with my '97 115HP Mariner engine this weekend. Mine turns over, starts, runs for 5 min or longer, then cuts out. Ran it for 1/2 hour at the house fine, then out on the water after 10 minutes, at idle speed just cut out. Can primer bulb go bad? Builds up pressure, not real mushy or anything. Have not had any problems before this? Anything else I can check??"

"yes we took some of the fuel

"yes we took some of the fuel lines in the engine off and pumped it through, fuel came through no bother. will try squirting the carbs tomorrow. any other ideas?"

"fuel pump runs off engine com

"fuel pump runs off engine compression check engine compression, check fuel pump and dismantle to inspect diaghpram and poppets. check fuel inlet into carbs, check filters and check float levels and needle and seat in carbs in case of sticking. thats just for starters. good luck"

"i filled up a bucket today an

"i filled up a bucket today and engine started 1st time, but with very high revs and it will not drop if left running. i only ran for 5 secs as it was not looking good, any ideas on this??

thanks for all ure help!!"

"I can tell you this, start by

"I can tell you this, start by draining the bowls on the carbs then remove your fuel line from the engine, then find a clean dry see through container such as a 2ltr soda bottle and use your primer blub to squirt enough gas to fill half the container, let it settle for a minute or two and see if you have any seperation going on to indicate water in your gas. I had the same prolbem you are having and that is what it was. Even if you have a water/ gas filter you can still get it in the carbs if enough water is in the tank. It will run fine in the yard and even in the water at idle but when you throttle up the water in the bottom of the carb bowls gets sucked right in."

Back