Logo

Boat starts fine in driveway not in the water

K

kt

"We have a sport nautique that

"We have a sport nautique that hasn't been in the water yet this summer. We had it running fine in the driveway with the hose hooked up to the water intake. Took it out to the lake this morning and it turns over, but then dies. What are we missing? Why are we fine in the driveway and dead once we touch lake water?"

In the water the motor is &#34

In the water the motor is "under load" - what you describe is usually indicative of a clog somewhere in the fuel system (carb/injector or filter) or a fuel pump thats on it's way out...

"Graham, I would like to inclu

"Graham, I would like to include myself on this topic. I have "00 225 Optimax, and it turns on on land, but in the water shuts me down when I am on my ride. I have cleaned the tank (it had builders resin), flushed the pick-up from the outside in, cleaned all the lines. So whats been happening for, evn before I cleaned the tank, the primer gets flat, and of course the motor shuts off. On idle I do ok, except yesterday it just died until I got home and cracnked it. I should change all the lines, separator, and fuel filter. Do you think the fuel pump could be involved in this mixture, or maybe even a pick-up or sender?? any news would be greatly appreciated."

"Jesus:

you say "the pr

"Jesus:

you say "the primer gets flat" - this indicates the vent system isn't allowing air in to replace the fuel consumed. If the workmanship that produced your tank condition is an indicator, you may very well have sevral issues on the vent line install. Make sure it is all one piece and has no "low spots" which would trap any water.

Physically check each item, through the whole system; it will be time well spent."

"by low spot i mean an area wh

"by low spot i mean an area where water could be trapped in the hose. think of the 'loop' the drain pipe makes at the trap under a sink. Tthe hose should have a constant slope, all the way back to the tank.

Mine not only had two 'traps' in it, the @#$ that installed the vent spliced the 5/8" hose with a double 1/2" hose barb....Yes, it was a very long evening when we found that gem."

"I USED TO HAVE THE SAME PROBL

"I USED TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 305 V8. STARTS FINE WITH MUFFS...BUT IN THE WATER, I COULDNT GO PAST 1500 RPM...IT'LL CHOKE N DIE. I CHANGED EVERYTHING I COULD THINK OF FROM FUEL TO CARB AND IT ENDED UP BEING THE ENGINE CONTROL =D"

"To all: The damaging effects

"To all: The damaging effects from E10. As all leads to this. I have a fiberglass tank, and figured that E10 would just pass me by, but ti did not. I installed a new pick-up assembly and BAMM! The motor shuts down over and over again. I ran the boat on an external tank, and was able to ride for as long as the amount og gas would let me. After furtherpicking and plucking, my fiberglass tank is dissolving faster every time I look into it. To all with fiberglass tanks, E10 is inevitable and will destroy your tank and your motor. Solvents DO NOT HELP! I hope this post helps many, as it has taken me about 9 months to figure this out. Good luck!"

"oh, and one more thing. I am

"oh, and one more thing. I am replacing my fuel tank, and was wondering if yall think I should go with Aluminum or Polyethylene (plastic.
They tell me Aluminum eventually corrodes. I only want to change this tank once, as t-top, console, and wiring need to come off. Any help or thoughts would be helpful."

"You will get pros/cons for bo

"You will get pros/cons for both.

For me it came down to "what was the better deal". Yes, the aluminum can corrode and the poly can crack - both however will not "rot away" like fiberglass with the (new) gas.

I picked up a pair of brand new Inca 40 gallon poly belly tanks from an overstock seller for $125 bucks a piece - that made my choice very easy since they retail up my way for nearly 500 each and aluminum in similar dimesions were about 100 more than that.

Had they have been aluminum, that's what would have gone under the deck."

"Just replaced mine with 5/32

"Just replaced mine with 5/32 aluminum. I added another drain under the tank so that no water can sit in that compartment ...no matter if the boat is angled bow down or stern down. The old aluminum tank was 17 years old, no holes, just changed it before it sprang a leak in the middle of my busy season. It may have gone another 5 years. Up here the cost of a shop building an aluminum tank is $10.00 per gallon. 50 gallon = $500.00"

"could you have given the old

"could you have given the old tank a coating of expoxy to seal it,this would also make it bloody strong,i know i am a cheapstake"

"I effects of E-10 is killing

"I effects of E-10 is killing many boat power plants,
and now there talking about going to E-15, that won't be good.

My boat came with a poly tank, I like the fact that I can see the fuel level so this way you can double check the fuel gauge since there not very accurate."

Back