Logo

1988 Model 350 uneven fuel use between engines

67hat34c

Contributing Member
"1988 model 350's, How eve

"1988 model 350's, How even are your fuel burns and how even are the rpm's at WOT. Does reverse rotation engine run less efficient."

at idle (650 rpm) port

at idle (650 rpm) port 3 star 1.5
1500 rpm port 6 star 4
2500 rpm port 12 star 8
3000 rpm port 18 star 12

Hope these help you Stephen. I have the twinscan floscan installed on a 29 blackfin with 1988 454 model 350's. Unknown why the difference but no one I have talked to is overly concerned as of yet.

"Hi Brian, You seem to have a

"Hi Brian, You seem to have a consistant 30% difference between these readings. I only recently have a flow meters on our boat this year and in the 3-4 times we were out, I might have about 10& at low rpm and about 15+/-% on the 3000 end of the scale, WHAT IT ALL MEANS as you say, I haven't a clue BUT surely we longer just press the throttles up to the stops to run the boat on plane.

Do you think the jetting in your carbs is the same? I have the vacuum operated needles that control flow above X rpm and I knw that they are the same size and spring configuration but that is on Carter (Edlebrock like )units."

I hear Eldelbrock units are th

I hear Eldelbrock units are the way to go. Have herd you can see an improvement in economy with them. I may try one and if it works change the other.

Mine had a 20 % variation in f

Mine had a 20 % variation in fuel usage between motors. After much effort and experimentation I found that the flame arrestors on the "pig" needed cleaning. End of variation!

Jeff

"This seems much more common t

"This seems much more common than I thought. I've got the same issue, from day one, with clean flame arrestors. I would love to know how the single edelbrock carb does compared to the other motor. Please keep us informed."

Back