Logo

20 hp mariner starts shut down 24 mins

wanttogo

"I have a 1987 20hp mariner wm

"I have a 1987 20hp mariner wmc13 carburator. i had some problem with the carb(needle valve sticking and just age) and rebuilt it. now she runs for approx. 3-4 mins. then shuts down. I've adjusted the float up and dowm. When adjusted up she over flows out vent set low she run for a short time and shuts off . replaced tank,pump ball and quick connect.same result. is there an a value for adjusting the float or am i looking in the wrong direction."

"Robert, sounds like the fuel

"Robert, sounds like the fuel pump diaphram is shot. Easy enough to change when you take the carb off to re-adjust the float (diagram below).

215039.jpg
"

"Graham i would believe your c

"Graham i would believe your correct . only one thing the re-build kit I bought came with a new diaphram.Could the new one be bad? I took the cover and diaphram out to inspect looks fine to me.The rebuild kit i bought came with parts for different carbs.I was careful to change with identical parts. last time on the water i couldnt get more than 12 knots out of the girl which lead me to the carb and the re build . i found the tank was contaiminated, and contaiminated the carb. I figured with the age id rebuild it. seems like i made more trouble for myself.I noticed 2 gaskets came with the kit for carb. to intake i discarded the old and not sure which one is right i can barley make out the out line of old gasket and used the one that followed the outline.I cant believe this little one barrel carb. is such a pain .Ive pulled motors before that seemed more easy.any ideas would be great!!!!!"

thanks for the info on the car

thanks for the info on the carb float.would the float cause me not to hold a prime? as i said the diphram is new replaced sping and button.what would you try next????????.also called the company i bought the kit from they dont know which intake gasket goes on this unit(s/n 0b187454) I need to get on the water the crabs are big.HELP !!!!!!

"If the carb was cause it to l

"If the carb was cause it to lose prime I would expect gas to puke out of the carb throat if you pumped it (the result of improper float setting).

However, I would suspect an air leak in the gas line to be the cause of the prime loss - more likely the gas is flowing back away from the engine. May even be just a bad primer bulb in the line. Beg or borrow another line just to see.."

runs fine now (out of the

runs fine now (out of the water)took her out this weekend no top end at all with cover off i can get rpms by working throttle at carb. That seems to work but cuts out at high rpms.Ive checked the compresion and its fair. could the linkage be the problem. what do i check next????? plenty of spark no power?.I want to try to make it through this season then rebuild in the winter

Back