Logo

1988 force 15 water problem

arron_d

I have a 1988 15hp and need to

I have a 1988 15hp and need to verify that water is flowing through the power head. I have just installed a new impeller and made sure that the tube from the powerhead fit into the plastic tapered piece on the pump. I know that there is supposed to be a light mist comming from the twin holes just below the power head but I cant tell if it is or not. I do have jets of water comming out of two holes just above the anti-cavitation fin above the prop. Any thoughts or ideas?

I have a Force 40 h.p. 1994 th

I have a Force 40 h.p. 1994 that overheats and no water is coming out of the 2 holes to cool the power head. I've replaced the impeller (old one was fine) so I replaced the thermostat and gasket but no water comes out holes when running it 5 min. on land (with rabbit ears). I'd appreciate any suggestions.

"Did you make sure that the up

"Did you make sure that the up tube to the power head was in the tapered piece on the pump when it went back together? It's a pretty common problem. When I got my force I was told by several people that water doesnt come out of the two holes, but a fairly wet mist does instead. They said it's sometimes hard to see but if you place your hand there it will get soaked fast. If all else fails do what I'm about to do. I'm taking my lower unit back off and placing the hose on the up tube and seeing where the water is going to make sure nothing is cracked."

"try putting it in a barrel or

"try putting it in a barrel or a can of some type full of water and run it. maybe you just have the muffs on the wrong place. im not sure exactly where it draws water in, but possibly its sucking in too much air (out of water) to draw it through. i always put mine in a plastic garbage can with water when its hanging on the back of my boat. that way the whole lower unit is submerged and all the drain holes are not letting water out or air in."

I have been running mine in a

I have been running mine in a 25 gallon toy box (borrowed from my kids room). It's just deep enough to submerge the lower unit. For some reason yet to be determined mine is pumping water into the lower unit apparently instead of the power head. Not sure whats going on but am going to find out.

Is there a plastic cover over

Is there a plastic cover over the nostril with large slot screws? There was often a thermostat hidden behind there on 9.9 and 15 HP.

"What do you mean by nostril?

"What do you mean by nostril? I'm not quite sure where to look on this thing. I've seen a schematic for a 9.9 but it didnt show where the thermostat went, just what it looked like and I couldn't find one."

The idle exhaust half way down

The idle exhaust half way down the motor leg in front. Water should bail out of those holes. There is a black plastic rectangler cover with two giant slot screws.

i have a chrylser 140hp i put

i have a chrylser 140hp i put water muffs on and also placed it in water they overheat alarm came on after a little while does it need to be completly in water? where does it draw its water from

Back