Logo

Valve adjustment 30L

J

Jim Lawrence

"Last weekend I attempted to a

"Last weekend I attempted to adjust the valves on my 1986 3.0L. I followed the instructions in Clymers and in the factory manual. I rotated the engine until the rotor pointed to No. 1 and crankshaft pulley was at 0. Then I adjusted cylinder No. 1 intake and exhaust, No. 2 intake, No. 3 exhaust and No. 4 intake. I assumed the valves are from front intake, exhaust, exhaust, intake, intake, exhaust, exhaust, intake. When adjusting each valve, I loosened the nut until the pushrod moved up and down, then tightened until it did not move up and down, then tightened one full turn. I then rotated the engine until the rotor pointed to No. 4 and crankshaft pulley was at 0. Then I adjusted cylinder No. 2 exhaust, No. 3 intake and No. 4 exhaust.

When I turned the engine on it sounded like an old sewing machine. I removed the cover and most maybe all of the rockers were loose.

What did I do wrong? I am going to try again this weekend."

"Sounds like you didn't pr

"Sounds like you didn't preload the lifters, meaning the lash is to loose and they (lifters) need to be about half way down their lash stroke. This puts them at their optimum setting to compensate for lash in both directions. also somtimes lifters will pump up and be hard to compress. start again and tighten them some more will cure you clatter. Most will usually show 5 threads on the rocker studs at this setting. Also check that you can turn the push rods by hand after the adjustment. if lifters are pumped up be carefull not to bend push rods.

Kurt"

Thanks Kurt. I adjusted the v

Thanks Kurt. I adjusted the valves again. Then with engine running tightened until no clatter. I hope they are not too tight. I just reread your post. Perhaps I should check if I can still spin the push rods by hand.

"With the engine running, Loos

"With the engine running, Loosen each rocker one at a time. Tighten until no clacking is heard.
Tighten 1/2 turn (90 degrees) additional and you are done.
Most manuals say to go 1 full turn but 1/2 turn to 1 turn is acceptable to load the lifter.

Do not get caught up in the spinning of the pushrods.

If you adjust when running it is a better method allthough more messy in my opinion. Engine builders or those who do it a lot use the push rod method. For the weekend warrior it is better to adjust while running.

I myself have done many motors and I still prefere adjusting the rockers when the motor is warm and running."

"[b]"Tighten 1/2 turn &#40

""Tighten 1/2 turn (90 degrees) additional and you are done."

Ayuh,.....

I completely Agree,...
Except that 90° is only 1/4 turn.....
1/2 turn is 180°...."

Thanks for the replies. I hav

Thanks for the replies. I have tried to follow your directions. Valves are quiet at idle but still have a significant tapping noise at high RPM. Any suggestions.

Also No. 1 exhaust nut has loosen itself twice. Would a new nut help?

Compression is 110 in each cylinder. Does this mean I have the valves too tight?

"new nuts would help and if yo

"new nuts would help and if you have the compression gauge out - just set them with the gauge. While cranking the engine (coil wire off and grounded) you can tighten the nut until compression begins to drop, then loosen it until it clicks, then split the difference...move to the other 3 cylinders and you are all set!"

1990 Teka 3.0l merc...shifting

1990 Teka 3.0l merc...shifting concern. i have just bought the boat and after two weeks of fun it did something strange on the weekend 2 -3 times. when i pulled the shifter back to neutral it stays engaged. if i pull it back towards reverse it goes to neutral. i also notice from day one with the new boat it needs to travel 3-4 inches in shifter throw to go into reverse and it is alot lounder then putting into forward . is tis just adjustment? cable

Back