Logo

1975 85hp mercury mercury outboard

keithy6

"Ignition problem on 85 hp mer

"Ignition problem on 85 hp merc any ideas.
Bought boat cheap with problem, which appears to have been caused by previous turning motor over without earthing plug leads, from what i could learn.
What in the opion of anyone clueded up on the electrical side is going to be the part thats most likely failed.Is there anywhere on the net i can get more info on these besides the mercury manual which i have now ordered.Any help appreciated."

"You are going to need a manua

"You are going to need a manual - at least a Seloc's (merc service is better if you can find one for that vintage).

Have you confirmed "no spark"?

If so, you can do resistance tests on the stator leads to see if the windings are cooked/broke etc

Check the distributor cap and rotor. If the rotor is toast it is a difficult to find somewhat expensive part.

An ignition problem on any motor can lighten up your wallet. On this particular motor it could also deplete some of your bank account.

Get the manual and thoroughly check out the motor to see if it is worth trying to bring back to life. You may find that it would be cheaper to part it out and sell off what you can and pick up something a little more modern or at least something where parts are still readily available at a decent price.

A new ignition system for this motor, if the parts can all be found, could well approach the 700 to 1000 dollar mark."

Back