Logo

Any ideas I keep blowing 50 Amp fuse

D

Dustin W

"hi, i'm having problems w

"hi, i'm having problems with my 87 bayliner, 21 foot 5.0 litre OMC (GM 305), every time I turn the key it blows the 50 amp main fuse, and i loose all power, i recently put a new starter in but it looks like everything is hooked up properly, instrument panel lights up and works until i turn key to start and then fuse blows, any ideas would be great thanks DW"

dustin
did this problem start

dustin
did this problem start after changing the starter? one possibility could be a defective new starter. something seems to be causing a short. also chk that pos and neg leads are correctly connected to starter.

"just found the problem, it wa

"just found the problem, it was a bad assist solenoid, not exactly sure what its purpose is, but took out old one and replaced with new solenoid, and turn key started right up no more blowing fuses, thanks
Dustin"

"1985 Bayliner 2150 w/ 5 liter

"1985 Bayliner 2150 w/ 5 liter OMC engine. Intermitant problem with the lift motor. Had the "up" solenoid replaced and worked fine for a while, but next trip out it wouldn't work. Manually lifted it, drove from Lake Powell to Salt Lake City and when we got home, it worked. This is a repeat scenario where it seems to work in the driveway at home, but after running it on the lake it won't come up. I tapped the motor with a metal bar like we did with old car starters that seemed to have bad brushes and it blew a 32 amp fuse. But after changing the fuse it still would not lift the outdrive. Any ideas (other than just running it on the driveway)?"

Back