Logo

Raw water impeller on 1971 318 rubber impeller blades in bits and pieces everywhere

C

Cody Street

"I pulled apart my raw water p

"I pulled apart my raw water pump and found the rubber impeller blades in tiny pieces everywhere. I've ordered new impellers, but how did this happen? And how do I get all the rubber pieces, that is undoubtedly inside my engine block, out? Is there a way to back flush the engine without harming anything?"

"is your engine raw water cool

"is your engine raw water cooled? on my 360 the raw water only cools the exhaust manifolds and the heat exchanger, not the block.

if yours is setup the same way you should flush out the Exhaust manifolds, heat exchanger to get out the pieces of impeller."

Common problem.
This Spring a

Common problem.
This Spring at launch time I checked the port seacock and it was open. I assumed the starboard valve was open. It wasn't. 10 minutes later I figured it out and shut it down. After it cooled I pulled the shredded impeller and recovered only about 40% of the vanes. I have monitored the temps on all parts of that engine and there are no hot spots. Since it is not a problem I am not going to dissassemble the manifolds. Cross your fingers and get a laser non-contact thermometer gun.

Back