Logo

Fuel problem please help

S

scott w

"any help is appreciated! i ha

"any help is appreciated! i have a force 15 it will start and run with the fuel line off, but as soon as you put the fuel line on, it floods out. the carb is clean and the fuel pump is rebuilt. cylinders/pistons are good, and head gasket is not blown. myself and 6 other people are stumped. it seems as though the fuel pump has too much pressure for the float and needle. please help"

"thanks for the response, im h

"thanks for the response, im having a difficult time finding the correct carb kit for this junk carb that was discontinued in '98."

"my engine model # is 152F90D.

"my engine model # is 152F90D. none of the carb kits i look at match this # and i cant find the any matching numbers for what i found on the carb either. tillotson F01A944, 715061. the needle seat looks like it is pressed into the carb and not replacable. is this a disposable carb that you throw away when it gives you problems? and its a discontinued carb, so is there something i can replace it with or do i have a new anchor?"

Hello Scott. You can get a new

Hello Scott. You can get a new carb from boats.net for $93. I couldn't find a listing for a needle seat for those carbs only the needle itself. You may be able to replace the carb with a slightly older 15 hp force with a replaceable seat if you're going to have to buy a carb. I couldn't find a pic of your carb but I can get you a pic of a 15hp carb from my 1988 if that would help for you to compare them and see. Mine only cost about $85. PN f682061

i bought another force 15 that

i bought another force 15 that is a year older and it has a smaller carb on that wont fit unless i swap the reed plate. but it ran for 20 min. i shut it off and now it wont run with the fuel line hooked up either. atleast its rebuildable though. thanks for the lead

"can you give me the part numb

"can you give me the part number for the carb on boats.net, i cant seem to find it"

"Not a problem... you carb mod

"Not a problem... you carb model is f715061. Thats those numbers on the side of the carb flange. Disregard the ones on the other side. You can type that number in on boats.net and it comes up as carb kit but its the whole thing not a rebuild kit. Thats how mine comes up too. I'll try to post the direct link here for you.
http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/M-F715061.html
hope that helps."

"yep looks like it worked. I h

"yep looks like it worked. I have a question for you though. When your outboard is running, do you have a visible mist comming from the twin hole just below the power head. I am having trouble making sure mine is pumping water like it should. New impeller etc.... Just can't see it pumping."

"yes both of mine have a visib

"yes both of mine have a visible flow of water coming out when i get them started. i have a 1989 and a 1990 force 15. the 89 has a decent mist pushing out and the 90 has more of a flow gushing out, although i dont know how it is supposed to be or maybe they are both fine."

"although from sitting in my b

"although from sitting in my boat you cant see the water coming out, i have a garbage can i put under the outboard when its mounted on the back of my boat and then fill it with water.at an idle the 90 doesnt push much, but at a rev it does. the 89 sprays all the time, but more at a rev."

Thats what I figured should be

Thats what I figured should be happening. I cant see any mist comming out of mine. But I know the pump is pumping. I must have a cracked up tube. Time to tear it back apart..... YAY. Thanks for the info

"i rebuilt my carb last night

"i rebuilt my carb last night and set the float exactly to the spec sheet in the rebuild kit, but still no luck. this is on my 89. the fuel pump is working fine and the carb is rebuilt, but it seems as though it is running out of fuel. it will refire and run for about 5 seconds and dies. im thinking that maybe my quick disconnect went bad and its sucking air. its all new fuel line and primers. i bought a seloc online manual, but its worthless. i cant find anything in there to guide me to any light."

"I could see it being the quic

"I could see it being the quick disconect or possibly a weak fuel pump. I believe they are vacuum operated on these if memory serves and you may have a small puncture in the diaphragm that may be causing it to not pump enough fuel. Also, if the engine sat for a while with gas in the lines (from quick connect to pump and then to carb) you may have a partial blockage from some gummy old gas in those lines and/or fittings. just my 2 cents. hope it helps."

"the float seems ok, it doesnt

"the float seems ok, it doesnt rattle if you shake it. i know from previous experience with my dirt bike, if the float leaked, you could shake it and it rattled from the fuel in it. im about ready to just buy a new 4 stroke yamaha, i have 2 outboards with the same problem and nothing seems to fix either of them. the part that really gets me is that the 89 ran ok for 20 min and after i shut it off i havent been able to get it to start and run with a fuel line hooked up. they are both the same way, if you put the fuel line on and prime it, take the line off and it will run till the fuel is burned out. but if the line is on one floods and the other seems to run out of fuel."

"my 89 has a rebuilt carb and

"my 89 has a rebuilt carb and is pumping fuel, the 90 has a rebuilt fuel pump and a carb with press-in seats that cant be rebuilt. ive checked the carb on the link that arron gave me and contacted that company and they havent got back to me yet. i am a mechanic in the military and was a mechanic in the civilian world and in high school i took all the small gas engine classes they offered and have a nocti certification from that. ive never had this much trouble trying to get something fixed or just to run for that matter."

"I have to admit that I'm

"I have to admit that I'm stumped as well. It just doesn't make any sense. I'm going back through mine today to see if I can find a thermostat or a crack somewhere. While I'm in there I'll keep eyes open for anything that could cause your prob. But at this point it's lookin kinda bleak. If you need any info to compare yours too, mine runs great, except for the water issue, let me know and I can try to video it or take pics for you."

im disgusted at this point. i

im disgusted at this point. i think im gonna bite the bullet and let a shop look at them.

"I was talking to an old buddy

"I was talking to an old buddy of mine and he had a 70's merc that was doing the same thing a few years ago. He went through it again and again but couldn't figure it out. Kept starving for gas even though all seemed to be right. Turned out that one of the passageways in the idle circuit had a partial blockage. He soaked the carbs in carb dip and cleaned them for a second time blowing stuff through all the passageways to check they were clear and it ran like a champ. Been running for years now. Hope all goes well with your 2 motors. If I can help in any way shoot me an email [email protected]"

im gonna try to adjust the flo

im gonna try to adjust the float and clean it out again. im tired of messing with it but im stuborn and dont really want to take it anywhere. plus there isnt any marine shops close to me.

finally got it!! actually i go

finally got it!! actually i got both outboards running now but the one isnt pumping water now. the whole problem was something to do with the carb primer. if its hooked up fuel is drawn straight up through the main jet and it floods. any ideas what can cause that.

Back