Logo

Sea King Water Pump Problems

aatrain

"Hi yall,
I have a 50's S

"Hi yall,
I have a 50's Sea King 12 horse with cooling problems. I have replaced the impeller, checked to make sure the passages are clear and unobstructed. It will not pump enough water to cool the engine. There is bearly any water coming out.... the only thing I can find that I haven't fixed are the oil seals in the lower unit (seem to be "loose" -ie poor seals around the drive shaft and shift lever.) Could this be causing the problem? What else should I be looking for?"

"Found the problem. the copper

"Found the problem. the copper tube that takes h20 to the block has a gasket onboth ends and it will slide up or down when forced. On my engine, I apparently missed stabbing the tube into the top of the impeller housing and it pushed the tube far enough up that it was resting on top of the seal instead of seating down in it. The water was just spraying all over the inside of the mid section and hardly any was going where it was supposed to. Live and learn... The motor runs fine now."

"Hello Aaron,

I see you ha

"Hello Aaron,

I see you have an old wards sea king outboard...I too have just aquired a late 50's 35hp sea king, and would like to know where you are getting parts and info from?

Best regards, John"

"I'm getting my parts from

"I'm getting my parts from my local marine repair, Marine Outlet in Temple, Tx. They get the closest thing they can find in OMC or whatever. They really hate seing me come in - it means they have to dig through the microfisch. I haven't really been able to find a good source for "exactly what I need" but they get me close enough to stay on the water..."

Back