Logo

Just bought a mercury

fasterem

"Hello I just bought a merc 11

"Hello I just bought a merc 110 9.8 hp serial number 2512057, don't really know much about it, just bought new plugs, I need to find out what the correct gas mixture is maybe a way to find out what year it is, what oil to use any help would be very helpful thanks
Emmet"

"Emmet, that is a 1969 model.

"Emmet, that is a 1969 model.

You can mix regular unleaded (86/87 octane with no more than 15% ethanol) and TCW-3 rated Marine 2 cycle outboard motor oil at a rate of 50:1

This is an early model 9.8 that will still have points under the flywheel..."

"what is the oil for the lower

"what is the oil for the lower shaft for this motor, I am changing to sprark plugs new gas and the oil in the lower shaft, anything else I should do this year to save the motor? I probably will try to do more to ensure it last over the winter but just the basics for now"

"Emmet, the lower gear oil for

"Emmet, the lower gear oil for outboards is usually 90W or 80-90W gear oil, normal or synthetic. Regardless of which you use you should make sure that it has a GL-5 rating.

Anything packaged as "marine" will normally be rated as such. The GL-5 means that it can withstand a bit of water without expanding/foaming which, if it occured, could blow the seals out of your lower unit...."

The waterpump impeller likely

The waterpump impeller likely needs to be replaced before running this motor---One of the weak points in the design of the 9.8hp

"ok well where and how do I re

"ok well where and how do I replace that? can you tell by looking at it if is bad, the guy I bought it from gave me a bag and there was one of those in it so I don't know if he replaced it or planned to so I need to know if it is visiable if its bad"

"ok I tried to change the lowe

"ok I tried to change the lower gear oil last night how much would it normally take to change? were are the plugs, I found two screws took them out and nothing would go in either one, One was at the very top of the shaft other was near the bottom, the one at the top says Flush under it, is that the correct one? I looked at the owners manual on that link and couldnt' find anything about the gear oil, also I got to looking at the bottle and the instructions say put the bottle in the bottom hole and push till you see oil coming out the top hole, that doesn't make ANY sense to me at all but is that really how its suposed to be done? does it take a whole tube? or just a little bit
thanks Emmet"

"Hi Emmet,

If I am not mis

"Hi Emmet,

If I am not mistaken, the Flush hole on the shaft is for connecting a hose for flushing the cooling water system, so you definitely do not want any lube in there.
happy.gif

Probably about a tube of oil is what you will need, since some will inevitably be wasted as it oozes out during the change process.

The instruction about squirting in from the bottom hole is exactly correct, the reason you need to do it that way is to make sure you dont get any air bubbles left in the oil, and that the gear housing is completely full of oil. The air will escape ahead of the oil through the top hole, until the lube starts oozing out, which is when you know it is full up.

The gear lube instructions for your engine are on page 33 of the manual, page 36 in the PDF file. In your case, it appears you have some sort of air vent screw instead of a second plug higher up, so that is why the procedure is slightly different than the standard method for newer engines that is described on the tube."

thank you very much got that

thank you very much got that problem fixed got the boat on the water conected the gas line it wouldn't turn to lock in place so I grabed a pair of plyers and guess what it snapped off so now I finally found the correct sizes to conect tank directly to carb hose. better luck next week trying it on the lake

"can anybody tell me what that

"can anybody tell me what that is called the part in the front of the motor that your gas tank attaches to, I looked on in the parts section of this web site but could find it to see how much a new one is going to be thands"

"Just bought a 94 Tracker with

"Just bought a 94 Tracker with a 60hp mercury outboard - where is the serial # on the motor???? I have looked everywher(except where it IS, obviously!!) HELP!!"

"I have a 1994 mercury built m

"I have a 1994 mercury built mariner60 I had a problem with the starter, I got the starter overhauled re-fitted it, now when I turn the key to start the engine nothing happens, the battery is fully charged, anyone have any ideas?"

"Deb - not familiar with your

"Deb - not familiar with your particular model, but the serial is usually on a plate on the lower swivel bracket of the engine (the part that holds the motor as it turns left & right), as well as on a round silver-colored metal plug stamped into the powerhead.

Sometimes the plate on the swivel bracket can get painted over, so try to look for the plug on the powerhead, it's about the size of a 25c coin.

Here is what it looks like on my 15hp:

216141.jpg
Mercury 15hp serial number plug"">

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tom

P.S. Deb & Frank, you'll probably get help quicker if you start a new discussion for your question, which is standard on this forum (I know some forums recommend the opposite method of adding onto existing, similar topics)."

Back