Logo

Hydrolock 270

alaska_av8r

Contributing Member
"While I was out this weekend

"While I was out this weekend I started the port engine one morning and let it run for about 20 minutes to charge batteries then shut her down, when I shut her down she dieseled about 4 chugs.

I didn't think too much about this but about 2 hours later I went to start her to move the boat. She was hydrolocked. Pulled all the plugs and found water on several of them but no major amounts of water in cylinders. Bought new plugs since didn't have anything to dry them out. Engine started after a few turns and ran fine the rest of the weekend.

I feel that the dieseling was the culprit, and want to definitely avoid this problem in the future. This is the first time this engine has dieseled and I wonder if it is because I didn't run the rpms up much before shutting it down.

What steps can I take so this doesn't happen again?

thanks...."

"A long period of high idle, f

"A long period of high idle, followed by a neutral shut down, can do this. Try shutting it off in gear next time.

Jeff"

"I've had this happen to m

"I've had this happen to mine 3 times all due to dieseling. On mine the carb was way out of adjustment and the idle was turned up too high to compensate for the air mix being wrong. Many mechanics had different opinions about it, but the carb was the culprit. In my opinion, it is always caused by the idle being too high immediately before turning off the engine. If the rpms are down to 750 before turning off the key it wont happen. Turn the key off at 1200 and it will. There is too much fuel still in the carb. I was told that timing too far advanced can cause it too."

"I tried to adjust the mixture

"I tried to adjust the mixture on the carb, besides it being totally a pain in the rear to get to the mixture control it was really tough to keep it idling while i was adjusting the mixture, i followed the crusader manual but what both of you are saying make sense. I guess I have to get that carb adjusted correctly, just not sure how I am going to do it."

Try using a vacuum gage. Sho

Try using a vacuum gage. Shoot for an adjustment that gives you the highest vacuum.

Jeff

"I may have to try that Jeff,

"I may have to try that Jeff, I will have to get some details from you on how/what/where to hook up such a gauge."

"Don't do this (like I

"Don't do this (like I did--doh!): Don't use the PCV valve connection, for that will result in a lean mixture after you hook it back up. You need to find a vacuum line somewhere that is closed at the other end (like a choke pull off). Not easy to do in some cases. You might have to remove a plug in the carb or manifold and screw in a barbed fitting, then stick a hose on it.

Jeff"

"I am going to the lake tomorr

"I am going to the lake tomorrow and I will have to look the carb and motor over to see what vacuum source i can use, if i remember correctly there aren't any vacuum lines to amount to anything on that engine. I will let you know what i find out."

Back