Logo

Odd problem with 1989 ford 50 ho

westsider

"Hi again
So we went out ran

"Hi again
So we went out ran the boat for about an hour, found a place to fish for two to three hours, and stated the boat back up no problem. Headed back to the dock to pick somebody up, shut it down for 15ms, it started back up good and ran for about 20ms than stalled. The only way to restart was to prime the carb again. It would run until the prime was gone, and would stall again. It would stall in netural or when triyng to put it in gear. After doing this a few times we decided to let the engine cool down for awhile. 30mns later we tried again, and the same problem, it would run until the prime was gone. So we get out the padles and start to padle. Meanwhile the driver kept trying to start the engine, after a dozen or so tries the engine starts, and stays runnig, thank god,. Now somthing was obvously shuting the fuel off, but what that was is the question. Any ideas you might have would be welcombed.
Thank you."

"I'm curious how you were

"I'm curious how you were priming the carb?

It could be anything from a dirty filter to a failing fuel pump to a bad carb.

Here's what I would do
1...check the clear (or yellor) plastic fuel line going from the fuel pump up to the intake for signs of any fuel, if so this is an indication that the fuel pump is going bad inside (ie:ruptured diaphram)

2...replace fuel filters (water/fuel separator), filter at input to carb.

3...check/clean anti-syphon valve at fuel tank where fuel line attaches, check fuel pickup tube (bottom end screen) for crap/debris and check the fuel tank vent line to see if it's partially plugged.

4...After all that if problem is still there, borrow a fuel pressure gauge and check output of fuel pump, clean/rebuild carb."

"Thanks Bob
To prime this boa

"Thanks Bob
To prime this boat you push the throttle all the way foward, and it squirts gas into the 4 barrel Holly carb. The carb was rebuit in May, so I think the other things will be were I start. Makes sence, this boat was run only 3 times in 3 years. could be crap in the tank(I hate ethenol)
I will let you know what I find."

"I would almost bet the fuel t

"I would almost bet the fuel tank vent line is clogged. If you take it out again and the situation repeats, opend the fuel cap and see if it draws air in. If the vent is working properly the tank will not suck or blow."

"Well we finally found the pro

"Well we finally found the problem, turns out that the place that rebuilt the carb messed it up. The so called marine shop not only put the choke on backwards but also left a screen out when he rebuilt it. So the carb had a jet plugged."

Back