Logo

86ish 50hp loss of power lowered rpms

amissner

"Heya. I have a pontoon with

"Heya. I have a pontoon with a 2 stroke Evinrude 50 that is circa 86 or so. The engine was tuned up before I bought it two months ago and has been running fine. It ran fine the last time I used it, but today (two weeks later), it was really hard to start and also a little hard to start warm. The real problem though is that it now only goes to about 4100 rpms wot when two weeks ago it went to 5200 rpms. At 4100 rpms it doesn't seem as fast as it was previously at 4100 rpms.

I am new to boat motors and don't know where to start. I am guessing maybe I need to do a spark check or compression test or something, but don't want to waste my time if there is something obvious to check. I am using the same gas I used last time, so I don't think that is a factor.

Advice appreciated."

"A few things to check in addi

"A few things to check in addition to the spark and compression that you already mentioned. Make sure that you're using the right gas/oil mixture in the tank. This ratio has changed over the years. Also you can check for fouling of the prop or any other nicks, etc.

.G
Evinrude E-TEC http://www.evinrude-etec.com"

Back