Logo

Twin 270bs

alfred

"Looking for advice on temps.

"Looking for advice on temps. Yesterday, I ran 25 miles offshore. For 3 years, my engines always ran at 172 underway. Yesterday, I noticed the port was running a little warmer than usual, 178 at 2900 RPM's. When she ran at 2500 RPM's all was normal. What would cause this sudden change in temps? Should I be concerned? Both engines were running straight for 5 hours and the port never exceeded 178."

Thanks Rick. I was alwyas tol

Thanks Rick. I was alwyas told that both engines shoud be the same temp and they always have been until Saturday. What would cause the change? I did fish yesterday but just kept looking at my guages.

"AL,

Both my engines have c

"AL,

Both my engines have complete new cooling systems from a to z. Saturday, port runs at 145 starboard runs at 160. I no longer trust those 20+ year old gauges other than to keep me alert to extremes. Since I CONSTANTLY worry about the engines, I am always checking the gauges and if I suspect a problem, I pull out the pyrometer thing and start looking. The tachs are 400 rpm off, the lower station temp is 10 degrees off on port, the fuel gauge works BUT BETTER are those new Garmin GFS 10 fuel sensors on each engine which I now rely on so much more So far....so good. I really need to re-place the dash set up completely this winter.

I believe water flow including pick up turbulence, controls the entire process and and deviations between the two engines is suspect for the difference. I could be wrong but after that, I am out of ideas"

Back