Logo

Trim fluid

jimn

Advanced Contributor
"I must be having one of my sp

"I must be having one of my spells but I need to know the correct type of trim fluid for a '94 Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II. ATF, power steering fluid or 20W? Something tells me that it's power steering fluid."

"Jim, The owners manual should

"Jim, The owners manual should tell you. I use 5W-30 oil in my '88 Alpha 1. Since it is a bit thicker than ATF, I find it keeps water from leaking past the cylinder seals, or at least slows down the leak. I am too cheep to replace the trim cylinders, and I think they are beyond rebuild."

"Straight from the book. Ther

"Straight from the book. There are three possible pumps. First one has a flat head screw you remove to check/add fluid (the fluid should be up to the bottom of the threads in the hole). This pump uses 10W-30 or 10W-40 motor oil. Second kind is also a flat head screw that has a dip stick type thing hooked to it. THis type uses Dexron II ATF. THe third kind is probably what you have. It has a plastic see-through basin with a plastic cap that has nothing attached to it. This uses Dexron II ATF and fills to the line on the reservoir.

Hope this helps some people. Its is straight outta the Clymer manual, p94.

I have a 94 3.0L alpha gen II."

Back