Logo

1993 Evinrude 150 engine problem TE 150 GLETR

B

Bud Thacker

"Help a little lost. 93 Evinru

"Help a little lost. 93 Evinrude with several problems I think. First my voltage meter only reads 10 to 11 volts on the gauge before I start the motor. After running the motor say 10 to 15 minutes the volt gauge reads 9 volt. Batteries are brand new and checked it to make sure it was good. Second, it seems I’m not getting full spark to run the motor; reason saying that my RPM gauge is all over the place. Can’t give an accurate read for my RPM’s it would go from 1000 to 5000 RPM. The funny thing is the motor seems to run fine at mid to high speed. It sneezes some times at low speed or at idle other than that it runs fine. I was fishing Lake TOHO in FL during a tournament and my motor at high speed started to spit and spoder then the motor die on me. Restarted and tried to get on plain and it would not let me. The motor running good at low speed but that’s it. It would not go pass 2000 RPM’s. So I’m at a lost and any help would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know what RPM’s my motor should be running at? I have two props one 24 and the other 23 four blade. Both seem to be running at 5000 RPM if my motor is correct. I believe I have an electrical problem but don’t know where to start."

"Get your factory manual out a

"Get your factory manual out and go to the section on the alternator. There it will tell you how to check the rectifier assembly (almost certainly bad) as well as the stator (should be checked whenever you change the rectifier.) You may have a regulator problem too, but the tachometer issue is a dead give-away that it is a rectifier problem (frequently caused by errant jump-starts)"

Back