Logo

Volvo penta stern drive removal problems

E

edward gibson

"having major problem removing

"having major problem removing upper drive assy. of a 275 drive from a aq131a engine shaft .followed manual for engine removal but u joint seems to be rusted to shaft ,any ideas or tips thanks 4888eddie"

"Only one way to do it without

"Only one way to do it without risking dammage to other parts.
1:Cut away the bellow.
2: Take out the cross in the u-joint closest to the shaft, leaving only the yoke.
3:Remove the cup in the yoke
4 Attach a 3-leg puller on the yoke with the center bolt pressing onto the shaft and tighten.
5: Heat up the yoke with a propane burner
and normally the yoke may be pulled off!
NB: Watch out for the needles in the cross bearings when dismantling!"

"Not to hi-jacl your thread bu

"Not to hi-jacl your thread but I am having a similar problem. I cant get the upper to slide away from the shaft. Also when I pulled the bellow rom the upper this brown rusty looking grease oozed from it, about a pint of it. It looks like there is also water it it as well.
What is this and where could it have come from?

thanks, will"

My local marine shop told me t

My local marine shop told me to use a slide hammer with a hook to grab any of the u-joints. I tried it for a little while but it didnt work. I sprayed a bunch of penetrant onto the shaft and will try again tommorow.
will

"How do you remove the cup in

"How do you remove the cup in the yoke. There is alot of play when I shake the yoke and can move it about half an inch in or out.

thanks, will"

"How do you remove the cup in

"How do you remove the cup in the yoke. There is alot of play when I shake the yoke and can move it about half an inch in or out.

thanks, will"

"Drill/punch a hole in it and

"Drill/punch a hole in it and pry it out. When You say you have a 'play' in the yoke, is it the shaft or the yoke moving on the shaft? If the shaft is moving the engine must out and fly wheel housing bearings must be changed."

how do you remove cross in u j

how do you remove cross in u joint ?it is abit rusted?

"The easiest is with a special

"The easiest is with a special cross remover/installer tool, but if you are handy you may improvise.
Clean off the cap ends, remove the clips, press the cross as far as possible to one side by pressing in one end cap, take off the one comming out on the other side. 'Reverse' the tool and press on the cross from the other side and take off the second end cap. Then the cross may be taken out of the yoke. Watch out for the needles in the end caps so you doo not loose or destroy them.
You need to keep even press and not bang with a hammer."

"If you have the room to get a

"If you have the room to get a C-clamp in to the u-joint, use a socket on the solid end of the clamp large enough to push the cap into and it should push right out."

"It is the shaft that has play

"It is the shaft that has play in it. I was hoping it was the yoke moving on the shaft but it wasnt. I am going to work on it agai today. It looks like I will also be pulling the engine to replace the bearings. My manual doesnt cover chrysler engines, Is The removal the of these engines the same as others.
thanks, will"

"In that case if you have not

"In that case if you have not yet got the u-joint apart You may do the operation a bit different. You may just take the upper gear housing apart and leave the complete u-joint left on the shaft, remove the engine, same as every 'old' Volvo procedure, lift out the engine and off with the bell housing and then work from there."

"Well I finally go the yoke to

"Well I finally go the yoke to come off of it. I ended up using a full can of PB Blaster penetrating lube, propane torch and a slide hammer for about an hour it was slow but it was easier for me than disassembling the u-joint while still attatched.

The entire reason I took it apart was because I thought the noise I heard was the U-joints but they actually look like they are in decent shape(still going to replace). But the shaft does move about 1/8"-3/16" from top to bottom or side to side. I think that is too much play correct?

What bearings and or seals do I need once I remove the engine this week? Part #'s?

Also what could be the reason the water got into the bellow. When I took it off alot of rusty colored oil/sludge came out with some water. I am replacing the bellow as well.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks, will"

"Sounds like You will have to

"Sounds like You will have to replace the crosses in the joint, at least if the propane torch has grilled the rubber seals for the cross needles!
The main reason for your troubles and problems is lack of maintance!
If You are winter storing your boat for a longer periode the best is to take the drive cmpletely off and store it seperately, check and replace the bellows and water hose, lubricate the flywheel housing bearing, lubricate the splines shaft and drive pivot bolts at assembly.
The drive should be removed immedeately after the boat is out of water for the season, not when you want to use it again, and gear oil checked/changed.
There are two ways the water can enter the bellow: Leakage from outside (bellow dammaged or not sealing properly), or from the flywheel housing, through the bearings in the housing and into the bellow.
As for parts: The bearings are std SKF/Timken and probably awailable at any shop selling bearings. Brands and make not important here. The seals You need to get from a Penta dealer or maybe Sierra."

"I agree on the lack of mainte

"I agree on the lack of maintenance. I recently bought the boat from a guy that used it almost year round on the San francisco bay. I already purchased the new joints and crosses they came together.

thanks, will"

Back