Logo

Ignition wiring diagram

halldog

"Could anyone tell me which co

"Could anyone tell me which color wires go to my four prong switch.I have a red and black,2 Purple wires 1 bigger,one yellow and red,one yellow and silver and one black,I realize not all them are to be hooked up.
Thanks in advance"

"Are you talking about your ig

"Are you talking about your ignition switch? If so, normally the yellow and red should go to the relay that feeds the starter solenoid; the purples should feed the instruments on the panel, as well as the automatic choke (if provided), the ignition coil (this one has a resistor) and the alternator (if of the brushless type, and this also has a resistor). The switch is normally fed from the battery via a thicker gauge wire, usually red. To identify it, just turn the battery switch on and test each wire with reference to ground; it will the one that reads 12V +. Another of the leftover wires will possibly feed the instrument panel light switch. No idea about the black; black is usually ground, but I have never seen a ground attached to the ignition switch.

You may want to consider having a look at either the SELOC or Clymer manuals, they both contain typical wiring drawings.

Hope this helps."

Yes it is the ignition switch.

Yes it is the ignition switch..You pretty much described all the wires except for the yellow and silver..I really appreciate your help..Maybe I can get it figured out

"Most of the Volvo packages co

"Most of the Volvo packages come with a 3-position switch: off-ignition and accessories-start. The four-position should be: off-accessories-ignition-start. Basically, the battery supply wire should go to one of the prongs, the yellow/red to another one, the purple to another one, and the rest of them to the accessories prong (first check that the black wire is not a ground!!!). The prongs should be marked with their function."

Back