Logo

Short Block removal

S

Scott Febbo

Hello I am very new to boating

Hello I am very new to boating. I just bought a 1980 cobalt that needs the engine rebuilt 350 chevy.I have it down to the last bits but I dont Know where to discionnect the back of the engine.Do I need to remove the outdrive to do this? please help.
Scott

"Yes you need to remove the ou

"Yes you need to remove the outdrive. You'll also need to align the motor once it goes back in. Leave the motor mounts bolted to the stringers and unbolt them from the motor. That way, you don't need to do as much tweaking.

The best advice I can give you is- get a manual for this boat or drive. It'll save you a lot of time and effort."

The 800/stinger type drive/eng

The 800/stinger type drive/engine is pulled with the intermediate housing and bell housing attached. First you have to remove the lower unit and unscrew the rubber transom seal.

I have thought about pulling just the engine on mine but I was afraid that the intermediate drive shaft would get damaged during the reinstall. How would you make sure that the shaft goes into the crank correctly?

The "one" nice thing about the older OMC is that since the engine and the outdrive are bolted toather they dont have the alignment issues that the cobra and mercruiser drives have.

Back