Logo

Manually Turn over 30L

russ0943

Regular Contributor
How do I manually turn over my

How do I manually turn over my 3.0L? The engine mount is right in front of where the crank is.

I'm tryn to lube it up good before starting it. This is also a test to make sure its not locked up.

"You can also remove the coil

"You can also remove the coil wire and crank it with the starter. Pull the spark plugs to make it easier on the starter and if you want to squirt a little light motor oil in each cylinder, that won't hurt, either. Pulling the plugs also keeps it from drawing fuel into the cylinders."

"Take Jim's advice. Plugs

"Take Jim's advice. Plugs out, squirt of WD40 type oil and if she won't turn over with starter, you've probably got problems.

Bob"

"NOT WD 40! That has cutting o

"NOT WD 40! That has cutting oil in it. Light motor oil. If the rings are stuck to the cylinders, there will be problems anyway but there's no point in scoring the cylinders by using WD. I don't think PB Blaster has cutting oil, though. If it doesn't, use that. PB is a lot better as a penetrant, IMO and I stopped using WD as soon as I found out about PB Blaster.

I would be tempted to remove the starter and make sure it's OK before doing anything else."

"Hi again, thanks for the help

"Hi again, thanks for the help. I took the plugs out, removed the coil wire, and squirted in a little bit of some standard oil i had (the kind in the little metal can). Turned over a few times and then started right up.

The starter was a b!tch to align right. It has vertical bolts and without shims it ran right into the flywheel. I removed the solenoid and bolted it up and engaged the gear with my finger until it slid into place. Then I reinstalled the solenoid and fired her up. All works well...so far. Thanks."

"Jim,

I allways suggest WD4

"Jim,

I allways suggest WD40 because that's what most folks will have. (If they have any kind of spray oil at all!!) Besides ya can't teach'em EVERYTHING ya know!
lol.gif

Bob"

"I can't be a superior act

"I can't be a superior acting sob when dealing wit someone who knows all I know plus all he already knew
biggrin.gif

Bob"

WD-40 has amazing penetrating

WD-40 has amazing penetrating ability. Frees stuck things really well. Awfull thin though. Don't know if I'd use it until I had to in a situation like this but I sure it would work. WD-40 is also a good metal preservative but some say that Inox is a little better as a protectant

Sounds like a synthetic oil ve

Sounds like a synthetic oil versus petrolium argument starting all over again...
I would suggest anything slippery is better than nothing.

"hey russ, i used the crank pu

"hey russ, i used the crank pully and belt to manualy turn over my 3.0 just take up the slack and use the belt to pull the pully around clockwise if you have an ib/ob dont go counter clockwise it may damage your impeller"

Back