Logo

Chrysler 318 marine specifications

D

David Eckerson

" I am looking for specificati

" I am looking for specifications for my 67 318, such as oil capacity and flter. Is the oil pan the same as found on the cars? "

"David,
There were various mo

"David,
There were various models of Chrysler "318" engines. I will assume that you have a Chrysler 225 LM318.

Oil sump capacity (less cooler): 4 qt.

... but as Chrysler says in their manual:

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR SIZE=0><!-Quote-!><FONT SIZE=1>Quote:</FONT>

Engine oil capacity will vary with installation angle. Fill only to full mark on dipstick. Do not overfill<!-/Quote-!><HR SIZE=0></BLOCKQUOTE>

Generally a marine pan is deeper than an automotive to allow for the rolling and trim differences that a boat experiences.

Regards,
Andrew"

" I have a Chrysler 318 engine

" I have a Chrysler 318 engine, longblock. The engines became too hot. What could be the problem?
Would replacing the water pumps help? The engine is a 1981

Thanks! "

" repowered silverton 32't

" repowered silverton 32'twin 318/225 chryslers getting to hot.this is what we have done so far.new raw water pumps,new fresh water pumps,all new manifolds and risers,all new hvy duty radiator hoses w/wire.pulled heat exchangers,cleaned and inspected them.when we say how the exchangers worked,we made new ones that worked in line with the original ones.we took a 8"alum tube 24"long,made 2 ends.took 3/4"copper tubeing made a coil so it fit down the center of the 8" tube this we ran the antifreeze thru.then on the end caps we added fresh water intake and fresh water exhaust.we added this system in line with the original exchanger.anti freeze going in 220 degrees,coming out 180 degrees.the engines still get hot.what are they suppose to run at???is there a way to cool them better by getting a air flow over the engines???if we leave a engine door open it cools them down but obviously we can't always leave a door open.thanks john "

Re: "David, There were various mo

Andrew, I know this post is old but I was wondering if you could point me to the manual that states the above reference to installation angle. Last week I had a marina replace my engine mounts and prop shaft strut for a total realignment and in about 40 minutes of run time the engine threw a rod out of the oil pan. I have a meeting with them today to disuss the issue and if the mechanic didnt adjust the oil volume for the new angle I think that may have caused my blow up. Any ammo I can have to perhaps support my case would be helpful.

Thanks, Matt

Matt, not only is this an old thread, but it's posted in the Other Gas Inboard Mfgs IO and Sterndrive Questions section.
Why not start a new thread in the Chrysler section?
You'll get more responses there.

As to your question and concern, Engine re-alignment alone could not possibly affect oil pump pick-up capability.
Your issue lies elsewhere, me thinks!

Last edited:
Back