Logo

115 johnson trimtilt not working

115johnson

"Hello,

I have a 1978 Johns

"Hello,

I have a 1978 Johnson with trim/tilt 115ETL78C. Last year when I parked it the tilt worked fine. This spring I can hear the motor, but the outdrive does not move. There is no change in the sound of the trim motor like before when it would engage. I used the manual release and can lift/lower it that way and it stays in position. I looked for hydraulic fluid and a boat shop here told me I could use automatic transmission fluid. I filled the reservoir with no change in the tilt/trim. Yesterday I checked the wiring and it seems okay. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dale"

"Tighten the manual release va

"Tighten the manual release valve. Make sure the unit is full of fluid when the engine is in the full tilt up position. Apply 7 to 12 pounds of pressurized air to the reservoir fill hole. That will blow out any trapped air in the oil pump area. If all is well, the unit should now operate. Let us know."

"Joe,

Thanks for your reply

"Joe,

Thanks for your reply! When I got your reply I ran out, hooked the boat up to the truck, backed it up to the garage, hooked up the battery, pushed the button to show my boy how it "wasn't working", and it worked. Your info must have scared it. It appears to be working fine now. Whew, a local boat mechanic had told me $300 to $1000 to fix it."

Back