Logo

Impeller Failure caused engine blowout

gkwait

"I am in the process of buying

"I am in the process of buying a used '99 Chris Craft. It has twin Volvo 5.0 with EFI. I was under the impression that the EFI would recognize the overheat condition and shut the engine down. The other wierd thing is that the alarm that was supposed to fire when the engine failed, didn't. I assume thats why the current owner didn't realize the overheat condition and shut the engine down.
Finally, on my 'sea trial' i noticed the port engines (the newly rebuilt one) idle oil pressure was 20PSI while the starboard engine was 40psi. Is it safe to assume that when the engine was rebuilt they used a different oil pump causing the difference in oil pressure?"

"An EFI motor will go into RPM

"An EFI motor will go into RPM reduction but will not generally shut down until it reaches the point of catastrophic failure. Cars don't shut down, either because no manufacturer wants to be in the hot seat when people die due to their motor shutting down when they're in traffic. Better to ruin the motor than have people die because there's no way to get out of danger.

That said, it's up to the driver to shut it down when it acts like it's missing badly and the temp gauge shows too low for the conditions or way too high. If there's no water in the area around the coolant temp sensor, it's not going to show an accurate temperature. There are two sensors on EFI motors- one for the gauge and one for the ECM. The ECM sensor is the one that functions the fuel mapping and triggers the warning buzzer.

I have worked on boats that had the wires cut that went to the warning buzzer(s) and they failed anyway. Imagine that."

I have a 94 OMC/Volvo Penta Ch

I have a 94 OMC/Volvo Penta Chris Craft with twin 5.0l EFI Fords. I have no warning buzzers/alarms on my boat that I am aware of. My old 4winns would buzz (test) every time you put the key to the on position but not this boat. I am just viligant about watching the gauges.

Since you have twin engines swap the gauges to see if your readings change to narrow down the point of origin of the discrepancy in the oil pressure.

"Rather than the gauges, the o

"Rather than the gauges, the oil pressure sender units are more often than not the cause of false readings."

"Crestapre,
The one I am refe

"Crestapre,
The one I am refering to is a 99' Express 300. I also have a 96 18 Concept (btw: its for sale)."

"You didn't say anything a

"You didn't say anything about an alarm- You mean for overheat or low oil pressure? There may be one for low oil pressure, but any others will depend on the boat maker. Ask to see the owner's manual- it should be listed in there."

"I'm refering to the audib

"I'm refering to the audible alarm that sounds when the engines start. I am under the impression that they are supposed to sound when oil press drops, or temp gets too high."

Back